Synopses & Reviews
Free Internet Explorer 4 "Cheat Sheet" Inside!
Connect to the Internet and Roam the Web Effortlessly with the New Features Included in Internet Explorer 4! Microsoft is taking the online world by storm with Internet Explorer 4, its newest software for accessing the Information Superhighway. Internet Explorer 4 For Windows® For Dummies® shows you how to access the World Wide Web, newsgroups, e-mail, chat rooms, and more. Inside, find easy-to-understand explanations for using all of Internet Explorer's features and get the information you really need to browse the Web like a pro! Ask for IDG Books'
For Dummies® Books, the Fun and Easy Way to Find Out About Computers. Also look for IDG Books' Internet For Dummies®, 4th Edition, the fun and easy way to get up and running on the Net, and The Web After Work For Dummies®, 2nd Edition, the fast and friendly way to browse the Web for fun.
Inside, find helpful advice on how to:
- Get online fast and make Internet Explorer your Web browser
- Explore the Web with Internet Explorer's new Search bar
- Integrate the Web and the Windows 95 desktop with the Active Desktop
- Keep your favorite Web sites close at hand using Favorites and the Links toolbar
- Set Parental Controls to ensure appropriate Web viewing for all members of your family choose from five rating levels
- Subscribe to the hottest new Internet channels so that information is delivered straight to your desktop
- Chat with Internet users around the globe comic-book style with Microsoft Chat
- Use the new Outlook Express program for e-mail and newsgroups
- Meet online with NetMeeting to combine voice and video
- Add hot new Dynamic HTML features to your site
About the Author
About the Author Doug Lowe is a seasoned
For Dummies author with over a dozen titles in print, including Networking For Dummies®, 2nd Edition, Client/Server Computing For Dummies®, 2nd Edition, More Word For Windows® 95 For Dummies®, and The Microsoft® Network For Dummies®, 2nd Edition. He is also a contributing editor to DOS World magazine and frequently contributes to I-way Magazine.
Table of Contents
PART I: Preparing for an Internet Expedition.
Chapter 1: Welcome to the Internet.
Chapter 2: Getting Connected with Internet Explorer.
PART II: Embarking on a World Wide Web Adventure.
Chapter 3: Pushing Off.
Chapter 4: Searching the Web.
Chapter 5: Using Favorites and the Links Toolbar to Get Around Quickly.
Chapter 6: Tune In to the Web with Channels and Subscriptions.
Chapter 7: Getting Help While You Explore.
PART III: Outlook Express and Other Ways to Talk.
Chapter 8: Keeping in Touch with Outlook Express.
Chapter 9: Staying Informed with Outlook Express.
Chapter 10: See You in the Funny Papers: Microsoft Chat.
Chapter 11: Microsoft NetMeeting: Feel the Synergy.
PART IV: Customizing Your Explorations.
Chapter 12: Personalizing Your Home Page.
Chapter 13: Exercising Your Parental Controls.
Chapter 14: Opting for Options.
Chapter 15: Automating Your Log-In Procedures.
PART V: The Active Desktop.
Chapter 16: Using the Active Desktop.
Chapter 17: Fun Things to Do with the Active Desktop.
PART VI: Building Your Own Web Pages.
Chapter 18: Creating Web Pages with FrontPage Express.
Chapter 19: Publishing Your Web Pages.
Chapter 20: Making Your Pages Sing and Dance with Dynamic HTML.
Chapter 21: Creating Your Very Own Channel.
PART VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 22: Ten Hot Internet Explorer 4.0 Features.
Chapter 23: My Top Ten Web Site Picks.
Chapter 24: Ten Things That Sometimes Go Wrong.
Chapter 25: Ten Safety Tips for Kids on the Net.
Book Registration Information.