Synopses & Reviews
Videos, music, photos, apps, and more — fire up your iPad and enjoy everything that entertains you!
Powerful computer, iPod, game console, and e-reader rolled into one, the iPad combines the best of your favorite gadgets — and more — into one portable device. With this full-color guide, your iPad's secrets will be an open book. Covering Apple's latest iPad and iOS software, you'll discover how to find cool apps, organize your life with Reminders, stay connected with Notification Center, text with iMessage, and more.
Touch all the basics — learn to navigate the multitouch interface, use the onscreen keyboard, and let your fingers do the walking with multitasking gestures
Do you see me now? — video-chat with FaceTime®, shoot and edit photos and HD video with your iPad, and share it all online
Chill out — listen to your favorite tunes, watch videos, play games, or curl up with an e-book
Maximize your App-titude — find the best apps to indulge your interests, install applications on your iPad, and keep them all up to date
Cut the cord — activate and set up your device wirelessly, download software updates directly on your iPad, and stay in sync with iCloud
Open the book and find:
Steps for getting started with your iPad
How to video-chat with FaceTime
Tips for syncing your music,photos, e-mail, contacts, and calendars with iCloud
Easy ways to organize your to-do lists with Reminders
How to stay connected with Facebook and Twitter
Details about connecting to a Wi-Fi network
Advice on troubleshooting your iPad
Information about cool accessories to go along with your iPad
Set up your iPad, browse the Web, and download apps
View and send e-mail, listen to music, watch movies, and make FaceTime calls
Capture photos, record video, play games, read your favorite books and magazines, and text with iMessage
IN FULL COLOR!
- What the book covers: Getting started with your iPad, mastering the multitouch interface, synchronizing your data, working in the iCloud, setting up iTunes and your iPad, browsing the Internet, sending and receiving e-mail, browsing and downloading applications from the App Store, unveiling the iPod in your iPad, taking control of your tunes, finding and watching videos, importing pictures and launching slideshows, curling up with a good iBook, working with the calendar, taking notes, adding and viewing contacts, protecting your information, accessorizing your iPad, troubleshooting, and more.
- Series features: Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummies series for more than twenty years.
The up-to-date guide to getting the most out of your iPad or iPad 2!
With an elegantly thin form, front-and-rear-facing cameras, irresistible multitouch interface, and, now, with the awesome iOS 5 and iCloud, the iPad is one addictive device. This full-color guide helps you get to know your iPad so well you may never want to put it down! Mac experts and veteran For Dummies authors Edward Baig and Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus walk you through the basics as you set up and explore the iPad, master the multitouch interface, set up iTunes for your iPad, browse the web, find apps in the App Store, and synchronize it all with iCloud.
You'll learn how to turn your iPad into the ultimate gaming machine; curl up with an iBook; immerse yourself in music, videos, movies, and TV shows; and organize, edit, and share photos. Keep in touch with e-mail, social networking apps, iMessage, and FaceTime video calling. Plus, you'll never be late again, with the iPad's built-in address book, calendar, Maps, and Reminders.
- Covers the iPad 2 and iPad
- Fully updated for the newest iOS 5 features including Notification Center, iMessage, Newsstand, AirPlay Mirroring, Safari Reader, and more
- Explains how to record HD video; take fantastic photos; surf the web; organize your e-mail and calendar; and find your favorite music, movies, games, and apps
- Includes tips on protecting your information and troubleshooting
From the beginner basics to smooth and savvy tips, iPad 2 For Dummies, 3rd Edition will make you wonder how you ever lived without your iPad.
About the Author
Edward C. Baig
is the Personal Technology columnist for USA TODAY
and the author of Macs For Dummies
, 11th Edition.
Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus pens the popular "Dr. Mac" column for the Houston Chronicle and is the author of Incredible iPad Apps For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting to Know Your iPad 5
Chapter 1: Unveiling the iPad 7
Chapter 2: iPad Basic Training 23
Chapter 3: The Kitchen Sync: Getting Stuff to and from Your iPad 41
Part II: The Internet iPad 65
Chapter 4: Going on a Mobile Safari 67
Chapter 5: The E-Mail Must Get Through 83
Chapter 6: Surfin’ the Web without a Board (or at Least without Safari) 109
Chapter 7: Apply Here (to Find Out about iPad Apps) 131
Part III: The iPad at Work and Play 149
Chapter 8: Get in Tune(s): Audio on Your iPad 151
Chapter 9: iPad Video: Seeing Is Believing 165
Chapter 10: You Oughta Be in Pictures 183
Chapter 11: Curling Up with a Good iBook 201
Chapter 12: The iPad at Work 217
Part IV: The Undiscovered iPad 237
Chapter 13: Setting You Straight on Settings 239
Chapter 14: When Good iPads Go Bad 261
Chapter 15: Accessorizing Your iPad 273
Part V: The Part of Tens 289
Chapter 16: Ten Appetizing (and Free) Apps 291
Chapter 17: Ten Apps Worth Paying For 301
Chapter 18: Ten Hints, Tips, and Shortcuts 311