Synopses & Reviews
Whether you want to play games, get productive at work, or stay connected, your iPad can do it all!
There are many tablets, but there's just one iPad. Whether you're a proud owner of Apple's newest iPad or another model, this handy guide is filled with advice to help you make the most of your experience. You'll discover how to find incredible apps, send and view e-mail, browse the web, sync your data, stay connected with Notification Center, and more.
- Start with the basics — meet your iPad, learn to master the multitouch interface, use the onscreen keyboard, and fill it with stuff
- Awesome apps — find and download apps for every interest, install them on your iPad, and keep your apps up to date
- Lights, camera, action! — shoot and edit HD video, capture photos, and video-chat with FaceTime
- Boost your productivity — organize your to-do lists with Reminders, stay on top of your appointments and events with Calendar, and take important notes
- No more wires — set up your device without a PC and take a trip to the iCloud, where you can store and access your data from any device
Open the book and find:
- Steps for setting up your iPad
- How to use Dictation to compose e-mail and text messages
- Tips for syncing your music, photos, e-mail, contacts, and calendars with iCloud
- How to stay connected with Facebook and Twitter
- All about setting up slide shows of your favorite photos
- Instructions for buying and reading e-books
- Details about cool accessories to go along with your iPad
- iPad troubleshooting advice
- Surf the web, download apps, and make FaceTime calls
- Set up e-mail accounts, text with iMessage, watch movies, and listen to tunes
- Shoot and share photos and videos and read your favorite books and magazines
- What the book covers: Getting started with your iPad, mastering the multitouch interface, synchronizing your data, working in the iCloud, setting up iTunes and your iPad, browsing the Internet, sending and receiving e-mail, texting with iMessage, browsing and downloading applications from the App Store, making video calls with FaceTime, unveiling the iPod in your iPad, taking control of your tunes, finding and watching videos, importing pictures and launching slideshows, capturing photos and videos, curling up with a good iBook, getting organized with Reminders, working with the calendar, taking notes, adding and viewing contacts, staying connected with Notification Center, protecting your information, accessorizing your iPad, troubleshooting, and more.
- Series features: Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummies series for more than twenty years.
The updated, full-color guide to Apple’s all-new iPad
It's ultra-thin, rich with functionality, packed with stunning graphics, and one of the hottest-selling devices on the planet. And if you want to get the very most from the latest iPad and iOS software, this is the book to have. Mac experts and veteran For Dummies authors Edward Baig and Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus walk you through the basics as you set up and explore the new iPad, master the multitouch interface, set up iTunes for your iPad, browse the web, find the latest apps in the App Store, synchronize with iCloud, play games, video chat, and yes, accessorize, accessorize, accessorize.
- Covers the third-generation iPad, iPad 2, and original iPad
- Gets you up to speed on the basics, including the multitouch interface, setting up your e-mail account, getting connected, filling your iPad with amazing apps and cool content, and more
- Shows you how to turn your iPad into the ultimate gaming machine, take advantage of the retina display for a razor-sharp reading experience, watch and record HD movies, shoot and edit high-quality images with the iSight Camera, use FaceTime video calling, and so much more
- Includes tips on protecting your information, troubleshooting, connecting wirelessly, and using your iPad as a personal hotspot
From smart basics to some very savvy stuff, iPad For Dummies, 4th Edition will make you wonder how you ever lived without your iPad.
About the Author
Edward C. Baig
is the Personal Technology columnist for USA TODAY
and the author of Macs For Dummies
, 11th Edition.
Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus pens the popular "Dr. Mac" column for the Houston Chronicle and is the author of Incredible iPad Apps For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting to Know Your iPad 5
Chapter 1: Unveiling the iPad 7
Chapter 2: iPad Basic Training 23
Chapter 3: The Kitchen Sync: Getting Stuff to and from Your iPad 43
Part II: The Internet iPad 71
Chapter 4: Going on a Mobile Safari 73
Chapter 5: The E-Mail Must Get Through 91
Chapter 6: Surfin’ the Web without a Board (Or at Least without Safari) 119
Chapter 7: Apply Here (To Find Out about iPad Apps) 141
Part III: The iPad at Work and Play 159
Chapter 8: Get in Tune(s): Audio on Your iPad 161
Chapter 9: iPad Video: Seeing Is Believing 175
Chapter 10: You Oughta Be in Pictures 193
Chapter 11: Curling Up with a Good iBook 211
Chapter 12: The iPad at Work 229
Part IV: The Undiscovered iPad 251
Chapter 13: Setting You Straight on Settings 253
Chapter 14: When Good iPads Go Bad 277
Chapter 15: Accessorizing Your iPad 289
Part V: The Part of Tens 305
Chapter 16: Ten Appetizing (And Free) Apps 307
Chapter 17: Ten Apps Worth Paying For 317
Chapter 18: Ten Hints, Tips, and Shortcuts 327