Synopses & Reviews
- Use Control Center, get connected, and browse the web
- Talk to the world with texts, e-mail, social media, and FaceTime®
- Entertain yourself with music, movies, photos, books, and apps
IN FULL COLOR!
No matter which iPad you have, here's how to get things done and have some fun
Packed with tons of new features, the iPad puts a whole world of productivity and entertainment in your hands. From staying organized with Notes, Calendar, and Notification Center to sharing photos and video with friends and family, battling it out with Game Center, hitting the road with Maps, or catching up on your favorite TV show, if you're ready to start your iPad adventure, For Dummies is here to guide the way.
- Say hello! explore the multitouch display and built-in apps, customize your settings, and fill your iPad with all your stuff
- It's all online browse the web, send e-mail and texts, and stay in touch with the world with social media and FaceTime
- Fun and games listen to iTunes Radio, add effects to your photos, and enjoy the latest apps, books, movies, and more
- Work it out use the new Control Center, manage your Contacts, keep track of your schedule, and remember it all with Reminders
- Make a friend get directions from here to there, find a good movie or restaurant, check the weather, or just see what Siri's up to
Open the book and find:
- Steps for getting started with your iPad
- Where to find cool content to fill your iPad
- How iCloud can keep your music, photos, contacts, and apps safe
- Tips for using Siri to compose e-mail and text messages
- Ways to share photos and documents with others using AirDrop
- How to stay connected with Facebook® and Twitter®
- Advice on shooting, editing, and sharing photos and HD video
- Troubleshooting help
- What the book covers: Getting started with your iPad, mastering the multitouch interface, synchronizing your data, working in the iCloud, setting up iTunes and your iPad, browsing the Internet, sending and receiving e-mail, texting with iMessage, browsing and downloading applications from the App Store, making video calls with FaceTime, working with Siri your voice activated virtual assistant, unveiling the iPod in your iPad, taking control of your tunes, finding and watching videos, importing pictures and launching slideshows, capturing photos and videos, curling up with a good iBook, getting organized with Reminders, finding your way with maps, working with the calendar, sharing photo streams, taking notes, adding and viewing contacts, staying connected with Notification Center, protecting your information, accessorizing your iPad, troubleshooting, and more.
- Series features: Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummies series for more than twenty years.
The ideal companion for getting the most out of your iPad, updated and in full color!
The possibilities that exist with Apple's amazing iPad are seemingly endless, and each release brings even more incredible features to this incredible device. If you’re ready to have the world at the tips of your fingers, then this is the book for you! Mac experts and veteran author dream duo Edward C. Baig and Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus guide you through the iPad basics before moving on to the most popular iPad features like FaceTime, Siri, Safari, Mail, Photos, iTunes, iMessage, and more.
- Covers the iPad Air, iPad with Retina Display, iPad 2, and earlier iPad models and is fully updated for iOS 7!
- Walks you through texting with iMessage, , making video calls with FaceTime, sending e-mail, setting Reminders, and working with Siri, your voice-activated virtual assistant
- Shows you how to wander the web with Safari, connect with Facebook and Twitter, and fill your iPad with your favorite music, movies, photos, e-book, apps, and games
- Includes tips on protecting your information, troubleshooting, syncing your stuff with iCloud, and adding some flair to your iPad with accessories
With everything you need just a tap away, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without your iPad and the helpful advice in iPad For Dummies, 6th Edition.
About the Author
Edward C. Baig is the Personal Tech columnist for USA TODAY as well as the author of Macs For Dummies. Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus pens the popular "Dr. Mac" column for the Houston Chronicle and is the author of OS X® Mavericks For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting to Know Your iPad 5
Chapter 1: Unveiling the iPad 7
Chapter 2: iPad Basic Training 23
Chapter 3: The Kitchen Sync: Getting Stuff to and from Your iPad 45
Part II: The Internet iPad 69
Chapter 4: Going on a Mobile Safari 71
Chapter 5: The E-Mail Must Get Through 91
Chapter 6: Maps Are Where It Is 119
Part III: The Multimedia iPad 131
Chapter 7: Get in Tune(s): Audio on Your iPad 133
Chapter 8: iPad Video: Seeing Is Believing 149
Chapter 9: You Oughta Be in Pictures 167
Chapter 10: Curling Up with a Good iBook 193
Part IV: The iPad at Work 209
Chapter 11: Apply Here (to Find Out about iPad Apps) 211
Chapter 12: People, Places, and Appointments 229
Chapter 13: Indispensable iPad Utilities 241
Chapter 14: Taking iPad Controls Siri-ously 257
Part V: The Undiscovered iPad 265
Chapter 15: Setting You Straight on Settings 267
Chapter 16: When Good iPads Go Bad 293
Chapter 17: Accessorizing Your iPad 305
Part VI: The Part of Tens 321
Chapter 18: Ten Appetizing (and Free) Apps 323
Chapter 19: Ten Apps Worth Paying For 333
Chapter 20: Ten Hints, Tips, and Shortcuts 343