Synopses & Reviews
Oh the incredible things your iPad can do learn all about them with this friendly guide!
The iPad is a perfect gizmo for your busy life portable and convenient for checking e-mail, playing music, exploring the web, and much more. It's loaded with features you'll love, and the simple, step-by-step approach in this book unlocks the magic right away. Learn to make video calls, navigate with Maps, find almost anything with Siri, and more!
- Getting started compare different iPad models, set up an iCloud account, and explore useful accessibility features
- An online Safari use the built-in Safari® browser, work with iCloud tabs, handle e-mail, and video-chat with the grandkids on FaceTime
- Amazingly entertaining play music, watch movies and videos, read iBooks, and lose yourself in challenging games
- Get organized keep track of appointments with Calendar, organize your Contacts, and create Reminders
- Meet your assistant let Siri help you pick a restaurant, choose a movie, send an e-mail, make a call, and so much more
Open the book and find:
- Tips on using the touchscreen
- Helpful features for those with vision or hearing challenges
- How to post photos online from Safari
- Steps for setting up your e-mail
- All about iMessage
- Advice on buying music, movies, and iBooks
- Where to find games and apps you'll truly enjoy
- How to go places with the Maps app
- Exchange e-mails, share photos, and make video calls with FaceTime®
- Browse the web, listen to music, play games, and watch movies
- Read iBooks® and magazines, use the Siri® assistant, and find the latest apps
IN FULL COLOR!
The new iPad can do even more - get up to speed with this updated guide!
Get the most out of the newest iPad and iOS 6 software with this fun and practical full-color guide. Written in the friendly For Dummies style by veteran and bestselling For Dummies author Nancy C. Muir, this helpful guide thoroughly explains iPad basics and then some. Discover easy-to-follow tips and advice on the latest iOS 6 features and popular favorites, such as the Siri virtual personal assistant, FaceTime, Facebook integration, Safari, photo and video editing, e-books, and more.
- Covers the third-generation iPad, iPad 2 and original iPad and is fully updated for iOS 6
- Explains how to use the iPad in the clear, friendly, easy-to-follow language that has defined the For Dummies series for two decades
- Uses senior-friendly larger fonts and full-color illustrations, making the information accessible and easy to follow
- Covers exciting new features of iOS 6 and the new iPad, including Siri, Passbook, a brand new Maps app, Facebook integration, enhancements to FaceTime, Mail, Safari, Photos, and improved accessibility features for users with hearing and vision challenges
- Shows the best ways to use your iPad for e-mail, games, e-books, music, videos, photos, and keeping connected with your friends and family
Whether you use your iPad to keep in touch, keep track of your schedule, or keep yourself entertained, iPad For Seniors For Dummies, 5th Edition is the perfect accessory to keep at hand.
About the Author
Nancy C. Muir is a writer and consultant as well as the author of more than 100 books on business and technology, including multiple editions of iPhone For Seniors For Dummies. She also writes a technology column for Retirenet.com.
Table of Contents
Part I: Making the iPad Yours 7
Chapter 1: Buying Your iPad 9
Chapter 2: Looking Over the Home Screen 27
Chapter 3: Getting Going 55
Chapter 4: Making Your iPad More Accessible 69
Part II: Taking the Leap Online 89
Chapter 5: Browsing the Internet with Safari 91
Chapter 6: Working with E-mail in Mail 115
Chapter 7: Getting Social with FaceTime, Twitter, and iMessage 133
Chapter 8: Shopping the iTunes Store 147
Chapter 9: Expanding Your iPad Horizons with Apps 161
Part III: Having Fun and Consuming Media 175
Chapter 10: Using Your iPad as an E-Reader 177
Chapter 11: Playing with Music on iPad 205
Chapter 12: Playing with Photos 217
Chapter 13: Getting the Most Out of Video Features 237
Chapter 14: Playing Games 247
Chapter 15: Finding Your Way with Maps 261
Part IV: Managing Your Life and Your iPad 281
Chapter 16: Keeping On Schedule with Calendar 283
Chapter 17: Working with Reminders and Notifications 303
Chapter 18: Managing Contacts 317
Chapter 19: Talking to Your iPad with Siri 337
Chapter 20: Making Notes 351
Chapter 21: Troubleshooting and Maintaining Your iPad 365