Synopses & Reviews
Make the most of your iPhone with this no-nonsense guide written just for you!
New to iPhone? This book is a smart start! Learn to find your way around the Home screen, get online, e-mail and text, download music and movies, explore iBooks and apps, keep your calendar, video chat with FaceTime, and even ask your phone for help with the cool new Siri feature.
Pick the perfect iPhone — explore different specs, styles, features, and price ranges
It's in the cloud — take advantage of free online storage and sync music, apps, TV shows, and other content to all your devices
You're online — browse the web, access e-mail, and video chat with the grandkids
Media mania — download and watch movies, listen to music, take pictures, and read e-books and magazines
Get organized — find your way with Maps, keep track of all your appointments, and set up alerts
Open the book and find:
Built-in apps and how to use them
Tips on editing and sharing photos and recording HD video
Accessibility features for vision or hearing challenges
How to control your phone with your voice
Where to get great apps recommended by seniors
Fun games to keep you young
Why you'll never be lost with your iPhone in hand
iPhone troubleshooting tips
Make video calls with FaceTime and share your favorite photos
Create reminders, send texts, and search the web hands-free with Siri
Download apps, watch movies, read e-books, and play games
IN FULL COLOR!
- What the book covers: buying and getting started with your iPhone, iPhone accessibility features, taking notes, using maps and organizing your calendar, finding and browsing sites of interest to seniors on the Web with mobile Safari, using the iPhone for e-mail and Facebook, buying apps and iTunes, working with pictures, buying and reading iBooks, buying and playing music, buying and watching videos and searching YouTube for videos of interest to seniors, getting help, printing, safety and maintenance (such as protecting the screen, setting a password, and so on).
- Series features: Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummies series for more than seventeen years.
Who knew a phone could do all this? Get to know your new iPhone with this fantastic full-color guide
Although iPhones now dominate the landscape, it's not a given that you'll instantly know how to use one. And that's where this handy book comes in. Written in the friendly For Dummies style and sporting senior-friendly larger type and full-color illustrations, this book clearly shows you how to use your iPhone, even if it's your first-ever smartphone. Make calls, send e-mail, download videos, read books, FaceTime video chat, discover the wonderful world of apps—it's all here and much more.
- Covers the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and iPhone 3GS
- Includes senior-friendly larger type and full-color illustrations
- Explains how to use the iPhone in the clear, friendly, easy-to-follow language that has defined the Dummies series for two decades
- Covers iPhone accessibility features, using maps, browsing the web, buying apps, playing music, shooting and sharing video and pictures, texting with iMessage, Reminders, Newsstand, and making calls, of course!
Outsmart your smartphone and take advantage of all it has to offer with iPhone 4S For Seniors For Dummies.
About the Author
Nancy Muir is a writer and consultant as well as the author of more than 60 books, including Computers For Seniors For Dummies and iPad For Seniors For Dummies. She writes a technology column for Retirenet.com and also assists seniors with technology at TechSmartSenior.com.
Table of Contents
Part I: Making the iPhone Work for You 7
Chapter 1: Buying Your iPhone 9
Chapter 2: Looking Over the Home Screen 21
Chapter 3: Getting Going 47
Part II: Start Using Your iPhone 65
Chapter 4: Making and Receiving Calls 67
Chapter 5: Managing Contacts 77
Chapter 6: Using Handy Utilities 99
Chapter 7: Taking Advantage of Accessibility Features 111
Chapter 8: Talk to Your iPhone with Siri 129
Chapter 9: Getting Social with FaceTime, Twitter, and iMessage 145
Part III: Taking the Leap Online 159
Chapter 10: Browsing the Internet with Safari 161
Chapter 11: Working with E-mail in Mail 183
Chapter 12: Shopping the iTunes Store 199
Chapter 13: Expanding Your iPhone Horizons with Apps 213
Part IV: Having Fun and Consuming Media 225
Chapter 14: Using Your iPhone as an E-reader 227
Chapter 15: Playing with Music on iPhone 249
Chapter 16: Playing with Photos 259
Chapter 17: Getting the Most Out of Video Features 275
Chapter 18: Playing Games 293
Chapter 19: Finding Your Way with Maps 305
Part V: Managing Your Life and Your iPhone 325
Chapter 20: Keeping On Schedule with Calendar 327
Chapter 21: Working with Reminders and Notifications 339
Chapter 22: Making Notes 351
Chapter 23: Troubleshooting and Maintaining Your iPhone 363