Synopses & Reviews
- Browse the web, send and receive e-mail, and video chat with FaceTime®
- Stay organized on-the-go with Reminders, Notes, and Calendar
- Fill your iPhone with apps, games, books, magazines, music, movies, and more
IN FULL COLOR!
Your iPhone is no ordinary phone take advantage of its super smartphone power today!
A great new iOS and awesome new features make your iPhone hard to put down. This friendly guide shows you how to find your way around the iPhone, surf the web, stay connected with Facebook and FaceTime, share photos and HD video, go places with Maps, have some fun with games, music, and movies and even make phone calls.
- Say hello navigate the touchscreen and built-in apps, get stuff to and from your iPhone, and make phone and FaceTime® calls
- Start surfing browse the web with Safari®; set up your e-mail; buy music, movies, and e-books; and load up on apps
- Amuse yourself play your favorite games, listen to iTunes Radio, watch TV shows and movies, and add amazing effects to your photos
- Stay on track get turn-by-turn directions with Maps, stay organized with Notification Center, save time with Control Center, and use AirDrop® to share with others
- Ask Siri schedule appointments, make a reservation, compose a text, or get the latest scores just by speaking
Open the book and find:
- Steps for getting started with your iPhone
- How to sync your stuff to iCloud
- What Siri® can do for you
- Instructions for turning your iPhone into an e-book reader
- Advice for choosing cool and useful apps
- Details on connecting to a Wi-Fi network
- How to track a lost iPhone with Find My iPhone
- Troubleshooting help
- What the book covers: Getting started with your iPhone, mastering the multitouch interface, synchronizing your data, working in the iCloud, making and receiving phone calls, making video calls with FaceTime, texting, working with the calendar, recording voice memos, summoning Siri your virtual personal assistant, setting up iTunes and your iPhone, capturing photos and videos with your iPhone, finding and watching videos, surfing the web with Safari, sending and receiving e-mail, getting organized with Reminders, finding a person, place or thing with GPS maps, editing photos and videos, organizing and managing your photos, staying connected with Notification Center, buying music and videos from the iTunes store, browsing and downloading applications from the App Store, organizing apps in folders, multitasking on the iPhone, protecting your information, troubleshooting, and more.
- Series features: Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummies series for more than twenty years.
The perennial bestseller returns to answer all your iPhone questions!
Updated and revised, this full-color bestseller is back to cover the latest iPhone models and iOS features. Veteran Dummies authors and Mac gurus Edward C. Baig and Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus share their iPhone insights to help you make the most of your device. From making calls to multitasking, sharing photos to scheduling appointments, reading e-mails to recording HD videos, and all the essentials in between, you'll be swiping around your smartphone with their friendly and helpful advice. Plus, you'll also see the fun side of your phone with tips on listening to music, video-chatting with FaceTime, watching your favorite TV shows, challenging yourself with games, downloading the latest apps,and more.
iPhone For Dummies, 7th Edition
- Fully updated to cover the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, and iOS 7!
- Introduces you to the multitouch interface, working in the iCloud, making and receiving phone calls, FaceTime video calling, texting, browsing the Internet, and more
- Explains setting up iTunes, catching up on movies and TV shows, taking stunning photos, and listening to your favorite music
- Helps you get organized with the calendar and Reminders features, keep on top of the latest news with Notification Center, and communicate with Siri, your voice-activated virtual assistant
- Walks you through connecting wirelessly, sending and receiving e-mails, getting directions from the all new Maps app, protecting your information, and troubleshooting
is your guide to becoming best buddies with your incredible iPhone.
About the Author
Edward C. Baig is the Personal Tech columnist for USA TODAY and the author of Macs For Dummies. Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus pens the popular "Dr. Mac" column for the Houston Chronicle and is the author of OS X® Mavericks For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started with the iPhone 5
Chapter 1: Unveiling the iPhone 7
Chapter 2: iPhone Basic Training 23
Chapter 3: Synchronicity: Getting Stuff to and from Your iPhone 47
Chapter 4: Understanding the Phone-damentals 73
Part II: The PDA iPhone 95
Chapter 5: Taking Control of Your iPhone 97
Chapter 6: Texting 1, 2, 3: Messages and Notes 107
Chapter 7: Seven Indispensible Utilities 119
Part III: The Multimedia iPhone 143
Chapter 8: Get in Tune(s): Audio on Your iPhone 145
Chapter 9: “Smile”: Taking Pictures with Your iPhone 165
Chapter 10: You Oughta Be in Pictures: Video on Your iPhone 195
Part IV: The Internet iPhone 209
Chapter 11: Going On a Mobile Safari 211
Chapter 12: The E-Mail Must Get Through 229
Chapter 13: Tracking with Maps, Compass, Stocks, and Weather 257
Part V: The Undiscovered iPhone 279
Chapter 14: Setting You Straight on Settings 281
Chapter 15: Apps-O-Lutely! 309
Chapter 16: When Good iPhones Go Bad 333
Part VI: The Part of Tens 349
Chapter 17: Ten Appetizing Apps 351
Chapter 18: Ten Apps Worth Paying For 367