Synopses & Reviews
- Stay in touch with e-mail, social media, and FaceTime video calling
- Browse online, create Reminders, and get some help from Siri
- Share photos, read e-books, play games, and watch movies
IN FULL COLOR!
Get in touch with your iPhone with this fun and friendly guide!
Once you get comfortable with your iPhone, you'll wonder how you lived without it. This plain-English guide cuts through the jargon to help you make friends with your iPhone. Find your way around the homescreen, make calls, send texts and e-mails, browse the web, share photos, stay organized, and fill your iPhone with games, movies, music, and more!
- Start it up — explore the multitouch interface and get familiar with the built-in apps
- The phone in iPhone — make calls, set up your contacts, video chat with FaceTime®, and choose ringtones
- Wander the web — get the latest news, shop online, and explore fun and useful apps
- Media mania — read magazines, enjoy iTunes radio, shoot photos and HD videos, and watch your favorite movies
- Your assistant — use Maps, the Calendar, Reminders, and Notifications to find things and stay organized
Open the book and find:
- iPhone adjustments for vision or hearing challenges
- How to sync your contacts with iCloud
- All the things Siri can help you do
- Help sharing files and documents via AirDrop
- Tips on using new photo formats and filters
- How to use your iPhone to get driving directions
- Advice on protecting your iPhone if it's lost or stolen
- What the book covers: buying and getting started with your iPhone, iPhone accessibility features, taking notes, using maps and organizing your calendar, finding and browsing sites of interest to seniors on the Web with mobile Safari, using the iPhone for e-mail and Facebook, buying apps and iTunes, working with pictures, buying and reading iBooks, buying and playing music, buying and watching videos and searching YouTube for videos of interest to seniors, getting help, printing, safety and maintenance (such as protecting the screen, setting a password, and so on).
- Series features: Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummies series for more than seventeen years.
The fun and friendly full-color guide to finding your way around your iPhone
Everywhere you look it seems like someone is using an iPhone. If you're feeling left out of the fun, don't despair. For Dummies to the rescue! Written in the accessible For Dummies style and packed with colorful illustrations, this book shows you how to use your iPhone to make and receive calls, send text messages and e-mails, read e-books, watch movies, play games, surf the web, and so much more. By the time you're through with this all-new edition of this perennial bestseller, you'll be completely comfortable downloading the latest apps, video chatting with FaceTime, finding your way with Maps, and just having some fun with your iPhone.
- Fully updated to cover the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, and iOS 7!
- Explains how to use the basic iPhone features, navigate the mutlitouch interface, and get connected
- Walks you through using your calendar, adding contacts, shooting photos and video, playing music, reading e-books, connecting on Facebook, and filling your iPad with all the things that matter to you
- Includes senior-friendly larger type and beautiful full-color images
You'll learn to love your iPhone in no time with the help of iPhone For Seniors For Dummies, 3rd Edition.
About the Author
Nancy C. Muir owns a writing and consulting company that specializes in technology topics. She is the author of more than 100 books, including the bestselling iPad For Seniors For Dummies and Computers For Seniors For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Making the iPhone Work for You 7
Chapter 1: Buying Your iPhone 9
Chapter 2: Looking Over the Home Screen 25
Chapter 3: Getting Going 55
Part II: Start Using Your iPhone 75
Chapter 4: Making and Receiving Calls 77
Chapter 5: Managing Contacts 89
Chapter 6: Using Handy Utilities 109
Chapter 7: Making Your iPhone More Accessible 121
Chapter 8: Talking to Your iPhone with Siri 141
Chapter 9: Getting Social with FaceTime, Twitter, and iMessage 159
Part III: Taking the Leap Online 173
Chapter 10: Browsing the Internet with Safari 175
Chapter 11: Working with E-mail in Mail 199
Chapter 12: Shopping the iTunes Store 217
Chapter 13: Expanding Your iPhone Horizons with Apps 231
Part IV: Having Fun and Consuming Media 243
Chapter 14: Using Your iPhone as an E-reader 245
Chapter 15: Playing with Music on iPhone 269
Chapter 16: Playing with Photos 283
Chapter 17: Getting the Most Out of Video Features 303
Chapter 18: Playing Games 313
Chapter 19: Finding Your Way with Maps 325
Part V: Managing Your Life and Your iPhone 345
Chapter 20: Keeping On Schedule with Calendar and Clock 347
Chapter 21: Working with Reminders and Notifications 367
Chapter 22: Making Notes 381
Chapter 23: Troubleshooting and Maintaining Your iPhone 395