Synopses & Reviews
Have music, movies, podcasts, contacts, and photos right in your pocket!
The iPod and iTunes have revolutionized how we enjoy music, and this bestselling guide has kept up with every twist and turn. Here's how to use the newest iPods, set up iTunes on your Mac or PC, purchase music and movies, rip CDs, organize your media library, make the most of digital sound, keep your calendar and contacts, and so much more!
Load it and go set up iTunes and load your iPod with music, podcasts, audiobooks, movies, even TV shows and photos
Find your stuff keep your library organized so you can search, browse, and sort to quickly find what you want
iTunes for everything use iTunes to synchronize your iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, calendar, and contacts
Fine-tune your tunes balance the bass or tweak the treble and create your own presets for the way you like to listen
iPod on the move integrate an iPod with your car stereo or connect your iPod to a portable speaker system for a go-anywhere stereo
Visit the companion Web site at www.dummies.com/go/ipod6e for bonus chapters about earlier iPod models and connections, creating multiple iTunes libraries, using your iPod as a hard drive, and much more!
Open the book and find:
How to acquire content and set up playlists
Advice on adjusting and limiting the volume on your iPod
Secrets for surfing the Web from your iPod touch
How to charge and maintain your battery
Steps for buying and downloading content from the iTunes Store
Tips for backing up an iTunes library
How to play content on your home stereo, TV, or car stereo
Includes coveragefor both Mac andWindows users
Fire up your iPod, fill it with cool stuff, and crank up the music
Once you discover all it can do, your iPod will never leave your side. This handy guide shows you how to manage photos and videos, subscribe to podcasts, organize your music, use your iPod as a hard drive, and manage your calendar. Plus, you'll get the scoop on making the most of iTunes.
Discover how to:
- Set up iTunes and your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV
- Transfer and view photos and videos on your iPod
- Synchronize your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV with iTunes
- Customize the encoder settings in iTunes
- Connect your iPod to your home stereo and TV
- Updated to cover the latest iPod modelsincluding the video iPod, iPod Nano, and iPod Shuffleas well as the newest version of iTunes, podcasting, and the latest accessories
- Explains iPod and iTunes fundamentals, from buying music and videos, importing music, and burning CDs to creating playlists and maintaining battery life
- Takes people well beyond the basics, covering topics such as choosing an encoding format, fine-tuning sound, transferring and viewing photos, adding podcasts, using an iPod as a portable hard drive, syncing information, updating and troubleshooting an iPod, and more
Introducing the different iPod models, this volume covers getting started with an iPod, setting up iTunes, buying music and videos from the iTunes store, and much more.
Whether it’s the iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, video iPod, or some other variation, iTunes and iPods go together like treble and bass. It’s so easy to purchase the latest music and videos, download podcasts, and even keep track of your calendar on your iPod—so why wouldn’t you? But if it’s so easy, why do you need iPod & iTunes For Dummies?
iPods now come in everything from 1GB to 80GB models and play movies, store photos, function as a spare hard drive, and even wake you up in the morning. If this is your first one, you’ll find no better place to get acquainted with it than in this bestselling book. If you’ve just purchased a brand-new iPod, you’ll find this Fifth Edition packed with valuable tidbits about the latest and greatest features. You’ll discover how to:
- Set up an iTunes account
- Build a playlist of streaming radio stations
- Synchronize your iPod with other devices
- Record memos and appointments
- Play movies from your iPod on a TV
- Connect your iPod to your car stereo or portable speakers
- Add and edit iTunes song information
- Organize music and media into iTunes playlists
- Fine-tune sound playback with either the iPod or iTunes equalizer
- Transfer music to your iPod from old tapes and phonograph records
Find out how to use every feature of your favorite iPod model and get the scoop on making the most of iTunes with iPod & iTunes For Dummies, 5th Edition!
About the Author
Tony Bove has written more than two dozen computer books including all previous editions of iPod &iTunes For Dummies. Tony is also a professional musician and he blogs and writes tips about iPods, iPhones, iTunes, and theiLife applications at www.tonybove.com.
Table of Contents
Part I: Setting Up and Acquiring Media Content.
Chapter 1. Firing Up Your iPod.
Chapter 2. Setting Up iTunes and Your iPod.
Chapter 3. Getting Started with iTunes.
Chapter 4. Shopping at the iTunes Store.
Chapter 5. Bringing Content into iTunes.
Chapter 6. Playing Content in iTunes.
Chapter 7. Sharing Content Legally.
Part II: Managing Your Media Content.
Chapter 8. Searching, Browsing, and Sorting in iTunes.
Chapter 9. Adding and Editing Information in iTunes.
Chapter 10. Organizing iTunes Content with Playlists.
Chapter 11. Managing Photos and Videos.
Chapter 12. Synchronizing Devices with iTunes.
Chapter 13. Gimme Shelter for My Media.
Chapter 14. Baking Your Own Discs with Printed Inserts.
Part III: Playing Your iPod.
Chapter 15. Playing iPod Content.
Chapter 16. Getting Wired for Playback.
Part IV: Using Advanced Techniques.
Chapter 17. Fine-Tuning the Sound.
Chapter 18. Decoding Audio Encoding.
Chapter 19. Changing Encoders and Encoder Settings.
Part V: Have iPod, Will Travel.
Chapter 20. Going Mobile.
Chapter 21. Sleeping with Your iPod or iPhone.
Chapter 22. Using Your iPod as a Hard Drive.
Chapter 23. Synchronizing Personal Info with Your iPod or iPhone.
Chapter 24. Updating and Troubleshooting.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 25. Ten iPod Problems and Solutions.
Chapter 26. Eleven Tips for the Equalizer.