Synopses & Reviews
Two of the more important developments in world history over the past two centuries have been the expansion of Western power and the revival of Islam. South Asia has played a central role in both processes, being the main focus of the imperialism of the British and an important site of the Muslim revival.
These essays, which were written over the past ten years, confront some of the key issues raised by some modern developments in South Asia: the interactions between British power and Muslim revivalism in giving shape to the modern Muslim world; the role of knowledge in fashioning Muslim societies and the rise of the `ulama, to greater influence than ever before. It also explores the great shift from other-worldly to a this-worldly piety amongst Muslims, the energy this has given the Muslim revival, and its meaning for relations between Islam and the West. The essays are rounded off by reviews of major contributions to the field over the period. Among the themes which emerge are: the influence both of orientalism and of Hindu revivalism on the world of scholarship, and the fact that the world is a better place when we remember the humanity we share.
This book offers profound insights to those wishing to understand the background to the interactions of Islam, South Asia and the West in our time.
About the Author
is Professor of the History of South Asia in the University of London, Royal Holloway.
Table of Contents
1. Knowledge, its transmission and the making of Muslim societies
2. The Ulama of South Asia from 1800 to the midC20
3. The British Empire and the Muslim World
4. The British Empire and Muslim Identity in South Asia
5. Living Together Separately: The Ulama of Farangi Mahall c.1700-c.1950
6. Women as patrons of art and culture: the Begums of Bhopal
7. Other-Worldly and This-Worldly Islam and the Islamic Revival
8. Islam and the West: Clash of Civilisations?
Part II: Responses to major contributions on Islamic and South Asian History
9. Modern Islam and the Green Menace
10. Never argue with the camel-driver
11. Through the minefield
12. se of mirrors
13. A greater Raj
14. Glimpses of a lost world
15. A pit full of honey
16. The music of the Sufis
17. When India ruled the waves
18. Mixed fortunes
19. Between two worlds
20. Thoroughly modern Muslims
21. Heroes in the harem
22. Stories from the cradle
23. No fun, no bread, no chance
24. Islamic contestations