Synopses & Reviews
The design of the eLearning Kit reflects the increasing interconnectedness of traditional learning materials with interactive online components. The book/CD-Rom package offers both to the user to use together or separately, but still giving guidance for a productive and flexible learning experience.
The Java eLearning Kit For Dummies BOOK: Full color illustrations, screenshots, pictures, etc. help guide the reader through each chapter.Descriptive learning goals that clearly define chapter content and help learners determine whether the coverage matches the instruction they are seeking.Directed, but flexible, learning path that enables learners to easily follow a linear learning path or jump to selected material.Tutorial pedagogy gives learners hands-on involvement and learn by doing.Assessment mechanisms, including chapter summaries that offer additional practice exercises, concise descriptions of key concepts, and definitions of essential terms.
The Java eLearning Kit For Dummies CD: A complete multi-hour online course includes lessons and then tasks within each lesson. Each course includes a topic map; objectives and overview; tabs for notes, alphabetical glossary, and additional reading material; self-assessment questions; and loads of practice exercises.Interactivity offers immediate reinforcement of applied hands-on learning.Integrated audio and video instruction - narrator goes through everything that is happening on the screen, including screencasts, illustrations, animations, and video.Easy to navigate using simple-to-use controls that allow the learner to go through the course content.Closed captioning available for learners that want to read what the narrator is saying.Progress tracking gives learners the ability to track which lessons/tasks have been completed so that learners can go at their own pace.
A complete book-and-online course package for learning Java!
As a platform-independent, object-oriented programming language, Java helps developers write once and run anywhere. With this dynamic combination of a full-color printed book and a Dummies online interactive eLearning course, you'll find a wealth of information on the latest release of Java. Featuring both written and animated step-by-step how-tos, practice labs, helpful videos, numerous examples, and a host of Dummies hints and tips, this package makes your learning process easier.
Follow the material sequentially or jump in and out as you wish—it's set up so you can learn at your own pace. Throughout, you will benefit from illustrations, animations, voiceover explanations, and the option of closed captioning if you find you learn better when you can read the instructions.
- Helps self-motivated learners master Java, the leading object-oriented programming language
- Includes an easy-to-follow, full-color book and an online interactive Dummies eLearning Course that corresponds with the book available via access code
- Allows you to follow the material sequentially or choose separate sections at your own time and pace
- Offers chapter summaries, practice exercises, discussions of concepts and essential terms, and much more
Java eLearning Kit For Dummies helps you maximize the potential of this dynamic programming language so you can work more efficiently.
- Full color book plus online training course
- FREE 1 year access to online self-paced training via access code
- 10 interactive lessons cover the essentials of Java
Learn this platform-independent language and create programs that will run anywhere
Java is the primary language used for Android development and many web applications, so once you master it, you can create apps for all sorts of uses. With this eLearning Kit, you learn Java at your own pace using written, visual, and interactive lessons. Discover how to obtain and install Java and go from beginner to programmer extraordinaire!
- Install the newest version — find and install the most up-to-date Java version for Windows®, Mac®, or Linux®
- Explore variables — learn to use primitive variables to store information and object variables to perform tasks within your application
- Get in the loop — repeat tasks with loops, create and use classes, access data sets, and work with strings
- Banish bugs — detect and solve problems to prevent application crashes
- XML makes it better — add value to your applications by working with XML data
Open and find:
- Tips on choosing an IDE for Java
- How to change primitive types into objects
- Advice on formatting variable content
- Different types of operators
- What to do with conditional statements
- Directions for setting up loops
- How to create and use classes
- Secrets of manipulating strings
About the Author
John Paul Mueller is a veteran technical editor and an expert on computer industry certifications. He has written books on C#, Java, Windows programming, and VBA, and is coauthor of the bestselling C++ All-in-One For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Starting With Java 7
Chapter 2: Using Primitive Variables 47
Chapter 3: Using Object Variables 75
Chapter 4: Formatting Variable Content 111
Chapter 5: Working with Operators 129
Chapter 6: Working with Conditional Statements 165
Chapter 7: Repeating Tasks Using Loops 185
Chapter 8: Handling Errors 209
Chapter 9: Creating and Using Classes 247
Chapter 10: Accessing Data Sets Using Arrays and Collections 285
Chapter 11: Performing Advanced String Manipulation 337
Chapter 12: Interacting with Files 359
Chapter 13: Manipulating XML Data 387