Synopses & Reviews
Welcome to The Joy Diet
, a menu of ten behaviors you can add to your way of living and thinking to enhance every days journey through the unpredictable terrain of your existence. You can add these behaviors gradually and watch your life become steadily more vivid and satisfying. Or you can go on a “crash Joy Diet” to help you navigate lifes emergencies.
The ten menu items are:
• Nothing: Do nothing for fifteen minutes a day. Stop mindlessly chasing goals and figure out which goals are worth going after.
• Truth: Create a moment of truth to help you unmask what youre hiding—from others and from yourself.
• Desire: Identify, articulate, and explore at least one of your hearts desires—and learn how to let yourself want what you want.
• Creativity: Learn six new ways to develop at least one new idea to help you obtain your hearts desire.
• Risk: Take one baby step toward reaching your goal. The only rule is it has to scare the pants off you.
• Treats: Give yourself a treat for every risk you take and two treats just because youre you. No exceptions. No excuses.
• Play: Take a moment to remember your real lifes work and differentiate it from the games you play to achieve it. Then play wholeheartedly.
• Laughter: Laugh at least thirty times a day. Props encouraged.
• Connection: Use your Joy Diet skills to interact with someone who matters to you.
• Feasting: Enjoy at least three square feasts a day, with or without food.
No matter what your long-term goals are, The Joy Diet, written with Martha Becks inimitable blend of
wisdom, practical guidance, and humor, will help you achieve the immediate gift of joyful living in the here
and now. Begin your journey today.
"Beck...delivers another useful and sure-to-be-popular self-help guide....Written in a down-to-earth, positive tone, the author's thoughtfully designed exercises, inspirational anecdotes and gentle advice should fall on fertile ground." Publishers Weekly
In her previous book, "Finding Your Own North Star, " Beck took the long view and helped readers to chart a new and more authentic course in their lives. Now she offers a complementary, streamlined approach to the everyday happiness that is (happily) necessary to achieving lifelong goals.
About the Author
Martha Beck, Ph.D., is a life coach and monthly columnist for O: The Oprah Magazine. She has taught career development at the American Graduate School of International Management and was research assistant to Dr. John Kotter at Harvard Business School. She is the author of the bestsellers Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live and the memoir Expecting Adam. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona. For more information, visit www.MarthaBeck.com.