Synopses & Reviews
Get fired up about new storage options, Amazon content, and the power of Kindle Fire HD
Your Kindle Fire HD is loaded with new features, and this book shows you how to take advantage of every one. You can store your Amazon content in the cloud, make Skype video calls, get the fastest Wi-Fi speed, and choose from hundreds of apps, movies, and songs. Follow this guide to start reading, watching, and playing right away!
- Meet your Kindle Fire HD — learn to use the touchscreen and discover pre-installed apps for audiobooks, photos, social media, and IMDb
- Shop, browse, and e-mail — manage your Amazon account, personalize the Silk browser, and send and receive e-mail
- Read everything — enjoy colorful periodicals, borrow books from Amazon's lending library, and understand how Whispersync syncs your bookmarks across different devices
- Do stuff — discover Kindle Docs and OfficeSuite, which let you work with Word and Excel documents
- Get social — manage your contacts, tweet, and post to your Facebook page
Open the book and find:
- The advantages of an Amazon Prime account
- What you can store in the cloud for free
- A tour of the Amazon Appstore
- How Whispersync keeps content from all your devices connected
- Why streaming video beats downloading
- Information you'll get from the cool X-ray feature
- How to make Skype calls
- 11 great game apps
- Set up your device, navigate the touchscreen, and connect to Wi-Fi
- Browse the web, receive and reply to e-mail, and post to Facebook
- Play music, watch movies, read e-books, and download apps from the Amazon Appstore
IN FULL COLOR!
This book is for people who want to get the most from the latest in tablet technology. The Kindle Fire is amazon’s premiere tablet, and Amazon supports the device with access to a large music and video store, a growing app store, a massive library of e-books, and a large customer database complete with stored credit card information for fast, one-click buying. The Amazon tablet is the new tablet to beat. There is a compelling draw to such technology, and an obvious popularity.
Being new as both a product and the supporting technology, the Kindle Fire requires careful explaining. This book documents each feature, approaching it from the point of view that the online support and documentation is lacking. All topics for the Kindle Fire are covered. The reader will want to keep this book close at hand, referring to it often as they explore the many features of their new device.
This edition adds information about the new book loan program Amazon has instituted, as well as how to borrow Kindle books from libraries and lending books to others. The last two chapters cover apps for Kindle Fire so users know about the latest/greatest apps available. New features are likely to be added to the new device; a camera (still and video), 3G, and a microphone, as well as a 10 inch screen. Other changes to the hardware include better performance, a crisper screen, and a better touch screen.
Movies, apps, games, e-books, and more - enjoy them all on the hottest device in town - the Kindle Fire HD!
From its stunning color touchscreen to its ultrafast speed, the Kindle Fire HD is sparking everyone's interest. This full-color guide will have you blazing through the web, staying entertained with the latest apps and games, watching your favorite TV shows and movies, and, of course, reading magazines, newspapers, and books to indulge all your interests. Whether this is your first tablet or you're upgrading from another device, you'll get to know your Kindle Fire HD and rekindle your love of reading with Kindle Fire HD For Dummies!
- Covers the Kindle Fire HD and original Kindle Fire
- Helps you navigate the interface, customize your settings, get connected, and take advantage of Amazon Cloud
- Shows you how to work with the built-in apps and find new ones to to try out from the Amazon Appstore
- Explains how to fill your Kindle Fire with cool stuff - from movies and music to videos, photos, apps, e-books, and more
- Walks you through using Amazon's incredibly smooth Amazon Silk web browser to find anything you need online and keep in touch with e-mail, Skype, Facebook, and Twitter
Light 'er up and unleash the fun with Kindle Fire HD For Dummies!
About the Author
Nancy C. Muir is a writer and consultant as well as the author of more than 100 books on business and technology. Her credits include multiple editions of Computers For Seniors For Dummies and Laptops & Tablets For Seniors For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Making the Kindle Fire HD Yours 5
Chapter 1: Overview of the Kindle Fire HD 7
Chapter 2: Kindle Fire HD Quickstart 23
Chapter 3: Kindle Fire HD Settings 51
Part II: Taking the Leap Online 77
Chapter 4: Going Shopping 79
Chapter 5: Going Online 101
Part III: Having Fun and Getting Productive 125
Chapter 6: E-Reader Extraordinaire 127
Chapter 7: Playing Music 151
Chapter 8: Playing Video 167
Chapter 9: Going Social 179
Chapter 10: Getting Productive with Kindle Fire HD 199
Part IV: The Part of Tens 225
Chapter 11: Ten Apps That Add Functionality to Kindle Fire HD 227
Chapter 12: Ten (or So) Top Gaming Apps 241