Synopses & Reviews
- One of the few civics series targeted at the elementary grade level. Most civics books are aimed at middle school or older students.
- Good introduction for 3rd to 5th graders on the basics of civics.
- Cross-curricular material includes information about American history as well as government and politics.
- Index helps readers find key subject matter quickly.
- "To Find Out More" section directs readers to other books, organizations, and web sites for further information on the subject.
- Sidebars enhance the text by providing additional facts and information.
National Standards: National Social Studies Standards Grades K-4
Power, Authority, and Governance: VI
- Identify factors that contribute to cooperation or cause disputes
- Recognize and give examples of the tensions between people's wants and needs, and concepts such as fairness, equity, and justice
Civic Ideals and Practices: X
- Identify the key ideals of the American democratic form of government
- Identify the rights and responsibilities of citizens
- Explain actions citizens can take to influence public policy decisions