Synopses & Reviews
Invite a few friends over to save the world
Been thinking about a LAN party, but not quite sure where to start? Well, relax. Buy this book, and youve already started. Everything you need to know is herenot only the necessary networking technology, but also the social stuff to make your frag fest an unqualified success. Heres the scoop on setting ground rules (what and why), power plays (the plug-in kind), locations (your apartment or the VA hall?), getting connected (hubs, switches, and routers, oh my)even what to order on the pizza.
Some secrets you'll learn
- What makes a LAN party rock
- How to prevent power outages
- Good games to choose
- When size matters
- How to set and enforce rules
- Proper party (network) protocol
- Good physical and network layouts
- How to assign a TCP/IP address to an Xbox
- Directions for setting up a game server
- Tips for dealing with a jerk
- Ways to protect the equipment
- What to do when something goes wrong
“…the ideal guide to kick-starting your network gaming career…” (PC Utilities, July 2004)
- LAN Party is the first and only book to tap into the growing popularity of LAN parties-literally thousands gather each and every week across the country to duke it out, computer to computer, playing games like Quake, Diablo, and others
- Players are tired of the slow response of playing games over the Internet, and are gathering in garages, basements, and even large convention centers to play their favorite games head to head
- Throwing a LAN party is not as easy as it might sound, but author William "The Ferret" Steinmetz knows all the tricks, from setting up PCs to blocking cheaters, managing power drain, and debugging the network
- No matter if the party is with a few friends, the whole neighborhood, or a large convention, LAN Party will transport the reader to gaming nirvana
How do you hook up fifteen computers without blowing a fuse? Where do you find the space for all the PCs? How do you deal with cheaters and what's the best way of promoting your LAN Party? LAN Party answers these and many other questions as it guides readers through all of the steps necessary for throwing a great LAN party.
About the Author
William "The Ferrett" Steinmetz is an avid and eminently qualified gamer and LAN party participant, planner, host, and author. His gaming philosophy? "If it moves, shoot it."
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Elements of a Good LAN Party.
Chapter 2: Setting Your Party’s Parameters.
Chapter 3: Choosing a Site for Your Party.
Chapter 4: The Complete Preparty Timeline.
Chapter 5: Saving Money on Your LAN Party.
Chapter 6: Avoiding Power Failures.
Chapter 7: The Least You Need to Know about Networking.
Chapter 8: Networking for Large Groups and the Internet.
Chapter 9: Sample LAN Party Layouts.
Chapter 10: The Least You Need to Know about Configuring Your Computer.
Chapter 11: Staffing Issues and Common LAN Party Roles.
Chapter 12: Setting Up a Dedicated Game Server.
Chapter 13: The Complete Day-of-the Party Timeline.
Chapter 14: Legal and Safety Issues.
Chapter 15: Something Just Went Wrong! Fixing Party Problems.
Chapter 16: Cool Things to Do at Your LAN Party.
Appendix: The Party Checklists.