Synopses & Reviews
The son of a single mother and born in a run-down housing project, American athlete Lance Armstrong emerged from decidedly modest beginnings. Four decades later, Armstrong has established himself as not only one of the world's greatest and most successful athletes, but also as an activist for charitable causes. Through the Lance Armstrong Foundation, Armstrong supports cancer research and treatment while he serves as the ultimate inspiration for other athletes and cancer survivors.
Lance Armstrong: A Biography provides a detailed treatment of Armstrong's life, from the lasting influences of his boyhood and the early years of his competitive training, to his battle with cancer, his divorce, and the birth of his fifth child during his second comeback to professional cycling. The book portrays him both as a champion athlete and a family man, and gives a candid assessment of his career, including Armstrong's less successful periods.
This readable biography of Lance Armstrong surveys his legendary cycling career as well as the details of his life outside of cycling.
Lance Armstrong set the record for winning the Tour de Francearguably the most grueling bicycle race in the worldseven times, after he survived treatment for testicular cancer. Due to his early-career success, Armstrong earned over $1 million in sports prize money by age 21, then went on to compete in three successive Summer Olympic Games.
• Presents a compelling story for sports fans that not only presents Armstrong's incredible achievements, but describes the making of a champion and what comes after the greatest race is over
• Provides facts and opinions about Lance Armstrong accessible in a convenient and readable format
• Includes quotes from friends, family, and colleagues to depict this celebrated athlete as a human being who has experienced disappointments as well as success
• Appropriate for high school students, cycling enthusiasts, and general readers
• Presents a chronological timeline of important events in Lance Armstrong's life and a list of the major awards and races he has won
• Includes exciting photographs of this dynamic athlete in action
• Provides detailed chapter notes and a bibliographic list of books and magazine articles
• Includes a helpful index of people, places, and important cycling races in the life of Lance Armstrong