Synopses & Reviews
You can significantly improve your life -- starting today
-- with the power of
In this groundbreaking national bestseller, Martin E.P. Seligman shows you how to chart a new approach to living with "flexible optimism." Drawing from more than twenty years of clinical research, Dr. Seligman outlines easy-to-follow techniques that have helped thousands of people rise above pessimism and the depression that accompanies negative thoughts and build a life of rewards and lasting happiness. Learned Optimism shows you how to:
- recognize your "explanatory style" -- what to say to yourself when you experience set-backs -- and how it influences your life
- boost your mood and your immune system -- with healthful thoughts
- help your children to practice the thought patterns that encourage optimism
- break the "I-give-up" habit with Dr. Seligman's ABC techniques
- change your interior dialogue and experience the astonishing positive results
Renowned psychologist Martin Seligman reveals how our mindset can impact daily life. In clear and accessible terms, he explains how to dramatically change your life by changing your attitude.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -303) and index.
Table of Contents
Two ways of looking at life -- Learning to be helpless -- Explaining misfortune -- Ultimate pessimism -- How you think, how you feel -- Success at work -- Children and parents: the origins of optimism -- School -- Sports -- Health -- Politics, religion, and culture: a new psychohistory -- The optimistic life -- Helping your child escape pessimism -- The optimistic organization -- Flexible optimism.