Synopses & Reviews
ENDURING LITERATURE ILLUMINATED
BY PRACTICAL SCHOLARSHIP
An ex-convict struggles for redemption in the punishing world of post-Napoleonic France.
EACH ENRICHED CLASSIC EDITION INCLUDES:
- A concise introduction that gives readers important background information
- A chronology of the author's life and work
- A timeline of significant events that provides the book's historical context
- An outline of key themes and plot points to help readers form their own interpretations
- Detailed explanatory notes
- Critical analysis, including contemporary and modern perspectives on the work
- Discussion questions to promote lively classroom and book group interaction
- A list of recommended related books and films to broaden the reader's experience
Enriched Classics offer readers affordable editions of great works of literature enhanced by helpful notes and insightful commentary. The scholarship provided in Enriched Classics enables readers to appreciate, understand, and enjoy the world's finest books to their full potential.
SERIES EDITED BY CYNTHIA BRANTLEY JOHNSON
So rich in drama that it has been adapted many times for stage and screen, "Les Mis" blends adventure with social commentary. A convict's heroic struggle for justice and redemption plays out against a fiery backdrop of the Napoleonic wars. This edition features the excellent original translation and a sensitive abridgment.
A convict's heroic struggle for justice and redemption plays out against a fiery backdrop of the Napoleonic wars. This edition features the excellent original translation and a sensitive abridgment.
A monumental classic and one of the most widely read novels in history, Les Misand#233;rables
portrays the epic struggle between good and evil in the soul of one man: Jean Valjean. In a world brutalized by poverty and ignorance, the ex-convict struggles to renew his life and reaffirm his humanity. But he is haunted, both by his seemingly inescapable past and the malignant shadow of the infamous police detective Javert.
Rich in detail, packed with adventure, and filled with the sweep of human passions, Les Misand#233;rables is more than a literary masterpiece and#8212; it remains a powerful social document. Dedicated to the poor, the oppressed, and the misunderstood, this captivating novel captures the impossible societal layers and#8212; and the essence of life and#8212; as it truly existed in nineteenth-century France.
This fine edition features the renowned original translation and a sensitive abridgment.