Synopses & Reviews
The Ultimate In-Depth Linux Resource!
Take advantage of the powerful capabilities of Linux using this comprehensive and easy-to-use reference. Featuring up-to-date coverage of everything from installation and configuration to system administration and programming, this valuable reference covers all the latest distributions of Linux and the Linux 2.4 kernel. New chapters include full details on system, network, and security setup tasks as well as coverage of the KOffice and Evolution office suites.The 2 CD-ROMs contain Red Hat Linux 7 and Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4. For anyone wanting to learn to install, administer, or program using the latest Linux platform, this is your one-stop guide.
- Learn to install Linux including latest versions of RedHat and Caldera
- Configure settings for network, system, security, and kernel 2.4
- Master KDE 2.0, Gnome, KOffice, Evolution, and the Shell
- Set up and manage servers--FTP, Apache, news, proxy, and more
- Use network administration tools, SAMBA, and Sendmail
- Manage users, file systems, and devices
- Ensure network security using firewall and encryption methods
- Deploy powerful database, office, and desktop applications
- Learn to program on Linux using BASH shell scripts, Perl, Tcl/TK, Gawk, and LaTec, along with programming tools such as the gcc compiler, RCS, and more
Table of Contents
Part I: Introduction.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Linux.
Chapter 2: Installing Red Hat Linux.
Chapter 3: Installing OpenLinux.
Chapter 4: Interface Basics.
Chapter 5: System Configuration.
Chapter 6: Network Configuration.
Chapter 7: Security Configuration.
Part II: Environments.
Chapter 8: The K Desktop Environment: KDE.
Chapter 9: Gnome.
Chapter 10: Window Manager.s
Chapter 11: The Shell.
Chapter 12: The Linux File Sructure.
Chapter 13: Shell Configuration.
Part III: Internet.
Chapter 14: Mail Clients.
Chapter 15: Usenet and Newsreaders.
Chapter 16: FTP Clients.
Chapter 17: The World Wide Web.
Chapter 18: Network Tools.
Part IV: Applications.
Chapter 19: Software Management.
Chapter 20: Office Applications.
Chapter 21: Database Management Systems, Graphic Tools, and Multimedia.
Chapter 22: Editors.
Part V: Servers.
Chapter 23: Server Management.
Chapter 24: FTP Servers.
Chapter 25: Apache Web Server.
Chapter 26: Domain Name System.