Synopses & Reviews
Living with Sexually Transmitted Diseases provides all the information teens need to understand this sensitive topic, including conditions, causes, prevention, and available treatments. Helpful sidebars, appendixes, and further reading guide additional exploration, and real-life examples throughout the book illustrate the impact of living with an STD. This informative new guide includes up-to-date information on chlamydia, hepatitis, syphilis, paying for care, and much more.
Topics covered include:
- How does the disease function, and how does it affect the body?
- How can one recognize the signs and symptoms of the disease?
- What causes the disease?
- What treatments are available, and are they effective? What side effects do they have?
- What social repercussions can the disease have?
- What should one expect going through recovery or as the disease progresses?
A sexually transmitted disease (STD) is an infection that is passed from one person to another through sexual contact. It is estimated that 15.3 million new cases of STDs take place every year in the U.S., and rates of STDs are particularly high among teenagers and young adults.