Synopses & Reviews
Got a new MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro? Want the scoop on Mac laptop basics, using Mac OS X Leopard, networking a laptop, or connecting your laptop to wireless devices? There’s no better place to find what you need than MacBook For Dummies, 2nd Edition!
With your Mac laptop, you can take your movies, music, documents, e-mail, and Internet wherever the action is. MacBook For Dummies, 2nd Edition provides the lowdown on maintaining and upgrading your MacBook, customizing the Dock and desktop, traveling with a laptop, turning iPhoto into your portable darkroom, and much more. Learn to:
- Locate the battery compartment, iSight camera, ports, and “on” button
- Move your existing files from an older computer
- Use all the cool new features of Mac OS X Leopard
- Work with iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, and GarageBand, all packaged with your MacBook
- Identify the signs of a well-functioning laptop and check for trouble
- Set up your Mac for multiple users
- Explore the cool options available with a .Mac account and iDisk storage that lets you retrieve your files anywhere
- Manage your digital music, photos, and movies
- Use Bluetooth and get all your wireless devices communicating with each other
And if you’ve been considering switching from a PC to a Mac, MacBook For Dummies, 2nd Edition guides you through the process and even shows you how to run Windows on your Mac laptop. If there’s a MacBook in your future — or present — this is the book for you!
- What the book covers:Mac laptop basics, getting acquainted with Mac OS X, customizing your Dock and Desktop, connecting and communicating for the road warrior, taking your music mobile, turning iPhoto into your portable darkroom, creating DVDs, working with networks, getting connected to wireless devices, sharing access and information, troubleshooting, and more.
- Series features:Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummiesseries for more than fifteen years.
Have more fun and get more done with your MacBook here's how to claim your freedom!
Chained to a desktop computer? Not you! You want to take your movies, music, documents, and Internet wherever the action is. This handy guide gets you up and running, and even walks you through Mac OS® X Leopard®, common upgrades, and troubleshooting.
Fall in love with Leopard get familiar with the latest Mac operating system and learn to use all its features
Explore the iLife learn to use iTunes®, iMovie®, iPhoto®, iDVD®, and GarageBand®, all packaged with your MacBook
Make the switch from a PC to a Mac learn how to move your existing files and how you can still run Windows on your MacBook
Back up your MacBook discover how to use Time Machine and iDisk storage to keep your files safe
Be cool with Bluetooth get your wireless devices communicating with your MacBook
Maintain your Mac find out how to keep your laptop updated and running smoothly
Open the book and find:
Full coverage of all three MacBook models
How to migrate files from another Mac or PC
Tips for conserving battery power
Advice on customizing your preferences for productivity
Maintenance and troubleshooting solutions for your MacBook
Steps for networking your Macs
Secrets for customizing Leopard
Explanations for managing your digital music, photos, and movies
About the Author
Mark L. Chambers is an author, tech editor, and unabashed Mac fan. He is the author of more than 30 computer books including Mac OS X Leopard All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies and AppleTV For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Tie Myself Down with a Desktop? Preposterous!
Chapter 1: Hey, It Really Does Have Ever y thing I Need.
Chapter 2: Turning On Your Por table Powerhouse.
Chapter 3: The Laptop Owner’s Introduction to Mac OS X.
Part II: Shaking Hands with Mac OS X.
Chapter 4: Opening and Closing and Clicking and Such.
Chapter 5: Get ting to the Hear t of the Leopard.
Chapter 6: A Nerd’s Guide to System Preferences.
Chapter 7: Sif ting through Your Stuff.
Part III: Connecting and Communicating.
Chapter 8: Taking Your Laptop on Safari!
Chapter 9: .Mac Is .Made for Mac Laptops.
Chapter 10: Spiffy Connections for the Road Warrior.
Part IV: Living the iLife.
Chapter 11: The Multimedia Joy of iTunes.
Chapter 12: That Masterpiece That Is iPhoto.
Chapter 13: Making Film History with iMovie.
Chapter 14: Creating DVDs on the Road with iDVD.
Chapter 15: GarageBand on the Go.
Part V: Sharing Access and Information.
Chapter 16: Your Laptop Goes Multiuser.
Chapter 17: Working Well with Networks.
Chapter 18: Communicating with That Bluetooth Guy.
Part V I: Necessary Evils: Troubleshooting, Upgrading, Maintaining.
Chapter 19: When Good Mac Laptops Go Bad.
Chapter 20: Adding New Stuff to Your Laptop.
Chapter 21: Tackling the Housekeeping.
Part V II: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 22: Top Ten Laptop Rules to Follow.
Chapter 23: Ten Things to Avoid Like the Plague.