Synopses & Reviews
Enter the exciting world of Macs! Here's the fun and easy way® to get going
If you've always thought that computers were too complicated, surprise! Let the steps and illustrations in this book make it easy for you to set up your Mac and gain basic computer skills. In no time, you'll learn to stay connected with family and friends, explore the Internet, create and print documents, watch your favorite movies, listen to music, get apps from the App Store, and much more.
Take the first step choose the Mac that suits your needs, set it up, work with files and folders, and connect a printer
Make it your own whether you want to set up speech recognition, select a screen saver, or change the Desktop background, you'll learn how to get the most of OS X
Picture the fun download your images to iPhoto®, store and share content via iCloud, and see what's happening with FaceTime video calling
Go surfing understand Internet basics and start navigating your way around the web
Keep in touch set up an e-mail account, create and send messages, add contacts, and organize your inbox
Protect your stuff follow key steps to reduce the risks of identity theft, viruses, and scams
Open the book and find:
How to customize, protect, and maintain your Mac
Ways to make your screen easier to read
All about organizing your files for accessibility
How to print documents
Ways to enjoy music, video, and podcasts
Tips for browsing the web and connecting with people online
How to set up and use e-mail
Set up your Mac® and tour the Desktop
Browse the web, view and send e-mail, and video-chat with FaceTime®
Share digital photos with friends and family
Play videos, music, and games
- What the book covers: buying and getting started with your Mac, setting up your Mac, getting around the Mac desktop, customizing OS X Lion, working with files and folders, working with printers, scanners, and faxes, creating documents with Pages, working with Numbers and finances, getting the most from digital photos and movies, enjoying music, video, and podcasts, playing games, understanding internet basics, browsing the web with Safari, keeping in touch by e-mail and FaceTime video chat, finding awesome apps in the Mac App Store, connecting with people online, taking care of your Mac, and more.
- Series features: Information presented in the straightforward but fun language that has defined the Dummies series for twenty years.
You're never too old to fall in love—with your Mac computer!
You took a while, but you are now the proud owner of your first Mac computer. Macs For Seniors For Dummies is just what you need. This friendly, accessible guide walks you through choosing a Mac and learning how to use it. You'll find yourself falling head over heels for your Mac in no time. Macs For Seniors For Dummies introduces you to all the basics that you need to know: how to use the keyboard and mouse, work with files and folders, navigate around the Mac desktop, set up an Internet connection, and much more.
- Helps you choose the Mac that's right for you, set it up, run programs and manage files, and hook up a printer
- Shows you how to create documents and spreadsheets, keep your contacts and calendar, and even (don't tell the kids) play games
- Walks you through surfing the Internet safely with the Safari browser, keeping in touch with family and friends via e-mail and video calling, and uploading photos and videos into your Mac and share them with others
- Teaches you how to play music with iTunes, watch movies and TV shows, or listen to online radio stations
- Details ways to use the web to help plan trips, get maps, book hotels or RV campgrounds, or buy plane tickets
- Addresses customizing your Mac to make everything as easy and convenient as possible
Updated to include the new OS X Lion operating system, Macs For Seniors For Dummies helps you do more than you ever imagined with your Mac. You'll wonder how you ever lived without your Mac!
You're never too old to fall in love—with your Mac!
You took a while, but you are now the proud owner of your first Mac computer. Macs For Seniors For Dummies is just for you. This friendly, accessible guide walks you through choosing a Mac and learning how to use it. You'll find yourself falling head over heels for your Mac in no time.
Macs For Seniors For Dummies introduces you to all the basics that you need to know: turning the Mac on and getting connected; using the keyboard and mouse; working with files and folders; navigate around the Mac desktop and OS X Lion; setting up an Internet connection and e-mail; and much more.
- Shows Mac newbies how to surf safely with Safari, video chat with FaceTime, and connect with friends and family online
- Covers choosing the Mac that's right for you, setting it up, running programs and managing files, and hooking up a printer
- Features ways to have some fun, too, with digital photos and videos, music, movies, games, apps, and more
- Includes tips on troubleshooting and taking care of your Mac
Your Mac can do so much more than you ever imagined and Macs For Seniors For Dummies shows you how!
About the Author
Mark L. Chambers is an author, tech editor, and unabashed Mac fan. He is the author of more than 30 computer books including MacBook For Dummies, iMac For Dummies, and Mac OS X Lion All-in-One For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Buying and Setting Up Your Mac 7
Chapter 1: Buying a Mac 9
Chapter 2: Setting Up Your Mac 23
Part II: Getting Started with Your Mac 49
Chapter 3: Getting Around the Mac Desktop 51
Chapter 4: Customizing Lion 83
Chapter 5: Working with Files and Folders 105
Chapter 6: Working with Printers, Scanners, and Faxes 127
Chapter 7: Getting Help 137
Part III: Having Fun and Getting Things Done with Software 149
Chapter 8: Creating Documents with Pages 151
Chapter 9: Working with Numbers and Finances 171
Chapter 10: Get the Most from Movies and Digital Photos 189
Chapter 11: Enjoying Music, Video, and Podcasts 211
Chapter 12: Playing Games in Lion 231
Part IV: Exploring the Internet 241
Chapter 13: Understanding Internet Basics 243
Chapter 14: Browsing the Web with Safari 261
Chapter 15: Keeping in Touch by E-Mail 283
Chapter 16: Connecting with People Online 309
Part V: Taking Care of Your Computer 327
Chapter 17: Protecting Lion 329
Chapter 18: Maintaining Your Mac 341