Synopses & Reviews
Discover how to beat anxiety and live a happy, balanced life
Everybody experiences anxiety now and then. But for some people anxiety is like a steel trap holding them back from happiness and a rich, productive life. If you suffer from problem anxiety, this book has the solution. It lays out a simple, proven approach for getting at the sources of your anxiety and freeing yourself from its grip. You'll learn powerful Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) techniques for understanding the sources of your anxiety, identifying 'trigger' situations that lead to runaway anxiety, and replacing negative thought patterns helping you to build a brighter, healthier future.
- Take the first steps on the path to change find the courage to face up to your fears and anxieties and to set goals on your journey to a life free from anxiety
- Take control of your anxiety learn powerful techniques for reprogramming your anxiety-causing patterns of thought and behaviour and replacing them with positive ones
- Live free and stay free make important lifestyle changes that will help you maintain your mental and emotional balance and avoid falling back into the anxiety trap
Open the book and find:
- What CBT is and why it works
- How to be objective about your anxiety
- Guidelines for mapping out the causes of your anxiety
- How to face your fears and keep them in perspective
- Tips for overcoming worry and uncertainty
- Healthy lifestyle changes you can make to keep you anxiety free
- What to do if you feel yourself slipping back into the grip of anxiety
- Understand what anxiety is and how it can hold you back
- Prepare for change and establish goals for the future
- Face your fears and keep your worries in perspective
Don't panic! Combat your worries and minimize anxiety with CBT!
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a hugely popular self-help technique, which teaches you to break free from destructive or negative behaviors and make positive changes to both your thoughts and your actions. This practical guide to managing anxiety with CBT will help you understand your anxiety, identify solutions to your problems, and maintain your gains and avoid relapse.
Managing Anxiety with CBT For Dummies is a practical guide to using CBT to face your fears and overcome anxiety and persistent, irrational worries. You'll discover how to put extreme thinking into perspective and challenge negative, anxiety-inducing thoughts with a range of effective CBT techniques to help you enjoy a calmer, happier life.
- Helps you understand anxiety and how CBT can help
- Guides you in making change and setting goals
- Gives you tried-and-true CBT techniques to face your fears and keep a realistic perspective
Managing Anxiety with CBT For Dummies gives you the tools you need to overcome anxiety and expand your horizons for a healthy, balanced life.
About the Author
Graham Davey is Professor of Psychology at the University of Sussex and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Experimental Psychopathology. Kate Cavanagh is a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology at the University of Sussex. Fergal Jones is a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology at Canterbury Christ Church University in Kent. Lydia Turner is a Consultant Psychological Therapist, and Adrian Whittington is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist, both based at the Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
Table of Contents
Part I: Understanding Your Anxiety 7
Chapter 1: All About Anxiety 9
Chapter 2: Making a Map of Your Anxiety 23
Part II: Tackling Your Anxiety 37
Chapter 3: Going for Goals..39
Chapter 4: Facing Your Fears51
Chapter 5: Finding Out if Your Fears Are Fact or Fiction63
Chapter 6: Letting Go of Worry 81
Chapter 7: Anxiety Rules and How to Break Them 93
Part III: Making Progress and Moving On 107
Chapter 8: Looking at the Bigger Picture 109
Chapter 9: Creating Your Route Map for a Brighter Future 123
Part IV: The Part of Tens 135
Chapter 10: Ten Tips for Tackling Anxiety 137
Chapter 11: Ten Inspiring Tips for Moving On from Anxiety 145