Synopses & Reviews
Managing Children's Services in Libraries, Fourth Edition
is designed to give students and new library workers the skills they need to succeed as well as get experienced librarians up to speed on the new developments in technology, publishing, and education. The book takes a broad view of all aspects of library work with children, addressing the dramatic and ongoing changes in school and pubic libraries.
This latest edition of a popular, proven resource focuses on practical ways to organize library services to children and the adults who care for them, and on expanding services from the building level to the greater community. Sections focus specifically on collections, planning services, managing personnel and budgets, and working with other community agencies. The book is written to serve as a textbook for courses in services to children and young adults, and is appropriate for short workshops and in-service training for library staff. Administrators and department heads will find it a useful tool for designing and updating library services.
Providing guidelines for designing collections and services that best serve 21st-century needs in school and public libraries, this book helps librarians to understand today's children and the ways they interact with information and recreational materials.
• Serves as a textbook for courses in services to children and young adults that is also appropriate for short workshops and in-service training for library staff
• Provides guidance on hiring, training, and retaining suitable staff members and developing staff communication channels to implement flexible services that meet changing needs
• Documents how to set up a budget, strategic plan, and evaluation that sets reasonable goals and maximizes available resources
• Discusses alternative delivery methods for providing information services to children who access library services online and for designing a presence for the children's department or school library on social media sites
• Examines the process for developing a collection of easily accessible e-products and print materials that meet the needs of the school or community