Synopses & Reviews
Master Microsoft's Full Set of Virtualization Tools
With Microsoft's powerful virtualization suite, you can virtualize from the data center to the desktop. Hyper-V, VDI, App-V, and the rest of Microsoft's virtualization tools allow you to create a more efficient, cost-effective infrastructure. This information-packed book, written by an expert team of Microsoft virtualization insiders, is your step-by-step guide to these technologies, including how to apply them to different environments and how to use them to improve productivity and cut costs.
- Getting up to speed on Windows Server® 2008 R2 Hyper-V, Remote Desktop Services, Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V), Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtual- ization (MED-V)
Setting up physical machines for a Hyper-V environment, planning the virtual infrastructure, and managing it
Exploring App-V and streaming—and when they make sense for your environment
Mastering virtualized desktop infrastructures, including both client- and server-hosted
Installing, configuring, deploying, and accessing Remote Desktop Services, MED-V, and VDI
Using best practices to ensure high availability
Harness the Power of Virtualization for Your Enterprise
Extend Virtualization Beyond Servers into Desktops and Applications
Learn Essential Techniques and Best Practices from Microsoft Experts
Explore Both Client- and Server-Hosted Desktop Virtualization
Reinforce Your Skills with Real-World Examples
The first in-depth guide to Microsoft's suite of virtualization products
- Presenting step-by-step instruction on deploying a complete virtualization stack, this comprehensive guide delves into Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V, Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services, Microsoft SoftGrid Application Virtualization, and Windows Vista Enterprise Centralized Desktop
- Examines how virtualization enables multiple operating systems to run on a single machine, consolidates workloads onto a minimal number of machines, and alleviates the costs that hardware, energy, and management demand from having multiple machines
- Real-world design examples address network, storage, server, presentation, application, and desktop virtualization issues and demonstrate optimal ways to create an IT system that is highly efficient and cost effective
Chris McCain (Tampa, FL) is CEO of the National IT Training and Certification Institute (NITTCI), a seven-year veteran of the IT training and consulting field, and has a special focus on helping organizations realize, design, and implement virtualization technologies.
Paul Mancuso (Tampa, FL) is co-owner of NITTCI and consults and trains IT personnel on major network operating systems.
The first in-depth, comprehensive guide to Microsoft's suite of virtualization products
Virtualization is a hot topic for IT because of the potential it offers for serious economic benefits. While other books treat server virtualization alone, this comprehensive guide provides a complete virtual strategy.
You will learn how to deploy a complete virtualization stack with Microsoft's offerings in server virtualization, application virtualization, presentation virtualization, and desktop virtualization. Written by Microsoft technology product specialists, this guide provides real-world focus, enabling you to create a complete IT system that is highly efficient and cost effective.
- Covers Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V 2.0, Remote Desktop Services, Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V), Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
- Demonstrates how to deploy a virtual infrastructure-from the server to the desktop
- Goes beyond any other book on Microsoft virtualization
- Covers the highly anticipated new feature Live Migration
This guide, part of the popular Sybex Mastering series, offers every IT administrator a road map for implementing an efficient and successful virtualization project.
About the Author
Tim Cerling is Sr. Technology Specialist at Microsoft involved with Hyper-V. Jeff Buller is Technology Specialist on Microsoft's virtualization solutions team. Chuck Enstall is a network technology specialist with Microsoft focusing on Remote Desktop Services. Richard Ruiz is a Microsoft virtualization specialist focusing on Virtual Desktop Infrastructure with Hyper-V, Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization, and Microsoft Application Virtualization.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Hyper-V 1
Chapter 1 UnderstandingMicrosoft’s Hypervisor 3
Chapter 2 Installing, Configuring, and Managing the Hyper-V Host 29
Chapter 3 Creating and Managing Virtual Machines 77
Chapter 4 Storage and Networking for Hyper-V 125
Chapter 5 High Availability and Hyper-V 165
Chapter 6 Planning a Virtual Infrastructure with Hyper-V 221
Part 2 Microsoft Application Virtualization 253
Chapter 7 UnderstandingMicrosoft Application Virtualization and Streaming 255
Chapter 8 Creating Virtual Applications 281
Chapter 9 Deploying Virtual Applications 299
Part 3 Remote Desktop Services 313
Chapter 10 Introduction to Remote Desktop Services 315
Chapter 11 Installing and Configuring Remote Desktop Services 327
Chapter 12 Deploying and Accessing Remote Desktop Services 355
Chapter 13 Load Balancing Remote Desktop Services 389
Part 4 Desktop Virtualization 409
Chapter 14 Introducing Microsoft Desktop Virtualization 411
Chapter 15 Deploying Microsoft VDI 443
Chapter 16 Deploying Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization 477
Appendix A The Bottom Line 513
Appendix B Microsoft Virtualization Tools and Resources 537