Synopses & Reviews
No one is saying that understanding business is easy, but behind all the numbers and jargon there are practical ideas that can be mastered by anyone who seeks to understand them. "MBA in a Box is a comprehensive yet readable guide to the the big ideas. Journalist and business expert Joel Kurtzman has brought together today's best business thinkers to provide original and accessible perspectives on the subjects they know best. For example, Michael Milken, one of the great financial thinkers and innovators of the last 100 years, shows that finance is not just formulas and abstraction, but helps to sustain growth, build widespread wealth, and create jobs. Dean Kamen the inventor of the Segway Human Transporter, shows how to turn an idea or invention into a product that solves a problem for a market. And Adrian Slywotzky, the perceptive and influential strategy consultant, shows how to find the elusive and ever-shifting profit zone. From management and marketing to finance, strategy, leadership, and innovation, "MBA in a Box covers all the bases and gets right to the heart of the ideas that make business tick.
From management and marketing to finance, strategy, leadership, and innovation, "MBA in a Box" covers all the bases and gets right to the heart of the ideas that make business tick.
The best minds in business—at your service
MBA in a Box brings together some of the best brains in business who show how the core curriculum of an MBA program works in the real world. People like Michael Porter, Rosabeth Moss Kanter, Adrian J. Slywotzky, Warren Bennis, and Bill George give you a box full of ideas and tools that can boost your career and help you add value to your organization. For example:
• Why finance is not just about manipulating numbers but of immense importance in sustaining growth, building widespread wealth, and creating jobs.
• The profit zone and how to tell if a business is in one.
• The skill of turning an idea or invention into a product that solves a problem for a market.
• Merging the need of business to produce and grow with the environment so they are both sustained.
• The latest thinking in marketing about branding, pricing, reversing a products life cycle, and turning what has become a commodity into a specialty.
• And much more.
About the Author
JOEL KURTZMAN is global lead partner for thought leadership and innovation at PricewaterhouseCoopers. Mr. Kurtzman has been an editor and columnist for the New York Times, the editor of Harvard Business Review, and is the founding editor of Strategy + Business magazine.