Synopses & Reviews
THE LANGUAGE OF GEOLOGY AND MINERALOGY AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
Derived from the world-renowned McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Sixth Edition, this vital reference offers a wealth of essential information in a portable, convenient, quick-find format. Whether youre a professional, a student, a writer, or a general reader with an interest in science, there is no better or more authoritative way to stay up-to-speed with the current language of geology and mineralogy or gain an understanding of its key ideas and concepts.
Written in clear, simple language understandable to the general reader, yet in-depth enough for scientists, educators, and advanced students, The McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Geology and Mineralogy, Second Edition:
* Has been extensively revised, with 9,000 entries encompassing the language of geology and mineralogy
* Includes synonyms, acronyms, and abbreviations
* Provides pronunciations for all terms
* Covers such topics as physical geology, historical geology, mineralogy, marine geology, plate tectonics, petrology, sedimentology, and stratigraphy
* Includes an appendix containing tables of useful data and information
* Is based on the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms – for more than a quarter-of-a-century THE standard international reference
Carefully reviewed for clarity, completeness, and accuracy, the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Geology and Mineralogy, Second Edition, offers a standard of excellence unmatched by any similar publication.
Derived from the content of the respected McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms,
Sixth Edition, each title provides thousands of definitions of words and phrases encountered in a specific discipline. All include:
* Pronunciation guide for every term
* Acronyms, cross-references, and abbreviations
* Appendices with conversion tables; listings of scientific, technical, and mathematical notation; tables of relevant data; and more
* A convenient, quick-find format
A dictionary for anyone seeking definitions of words and phrases encountered in geology and mineralogy. This second edition contains approximately 9000 entries, each accompanied by a pronunciation guide. The entries are also supplemented by conversion tables and other data.
About the Author
'Compiled by The Editorial Staff of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology (New York City), one of the most skilled, experienced, and innovative teams in the field of scientific publishing.'
Table of Contents
How to Use the Dictionary
Fields and Their Scope