Synopses & Reviews
Cast Metal in Sand Molds Using Your Own Backyard Foundry!
Learn how to cast metal in sand molds using simple techniques and readily available materials. Steve Chastain, a Mechanical and Materials Engineer, shows the beginner how to make a sand mold and then how to hone your skill to produce high quality castings. Written in non-technical terms, the sand casting manuals begin by melting aluminum cans over a charcoal fire and end by casting a cylinder head. All for little cost in your own back yard! Sold in over 30 countries, Chastain's popular Small Foundry Series
is good for both the beginner and experienced metal caster.
You will learn:
- How to build a 2450° F furnace from a steel bucket
- How to make your own foundry tools and equipment
- About green sand, skin dry and baked sand molds
- The effect of sand grain types and distribution
- The surface area of various sands and why it matters
- Sand binders
- Core boxes, core baking and core buoyancy in various molten metals
- Core filing and setting jigs
- How to easily build a thermocouple to measure high temperatures
- Optical pyrometers and emissivity