Synopses & Reviews
Revised and updated to include more than 1,100 quotations, The Military Quotation Book
brings together the wisdom of fallen heroes, living politicians, honored statesman, and rebellious writers—quoting official edicts as well as off-the-record remarks.
Among the most authoritative—and the most opinionated—are:
- General Douglas MacArthur: "It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- Winston Churchill: "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities."
- Joseph Stalin: "Everyone imposes his own system as far as his army can reach."
- Voltaire: "An admiral has to be put to death now and then to encourage the others."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower: "Nothing is easy in war."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt: "A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
With new sections on gays and women in the military, James Charlton has written the essential modern guide to military quotations. Perfect for everyone who loves the military—history buffs, speechmakers, veterans, and anyone in active military service—The Military Quotation Book is a loaded canon of memorable expressions
"This powerful collection of quotes from wartime leaders and heroes . . . is sure to inspire. A wonderful reference for anyone giving a speech, it also serves as a testament to courage for veterans and active-duty military personnel.” —Barnes & Noble
"Whether one believes that patriotism is 'the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons,' (Bertrand Russell) or that 'the man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife' (Teddy Roosevelt), one will find something provocative.” —Publishers Weekly
About the Author
James Charlton lives in New York, New York. He has written and edited several books, including The Military Quotation Book, The Executive's Quotation Book, The Writer's Quotation Book, and A Little Learning is a Dangerous Thing.