Synopses & Reviews
Mobile communication systems have become one of the hottest areas in the field of telecommunications and it is predicted that within the next decade a considerable number of connections will become partially or completely wireless. Rapid development of the Internet with its new services and applications has created fresh challenges for the further development of mobile communication systems. This volume presents an easy to follow overview of such systems ranging from introductory material through to a thorough system description.
* Provides the necessary background information on digital communication systems, such as speech and channel coding, digital modulations (including OFDM) and basic access protocols
* Presents the properties of a mobile radio channel and describes mobile radio propagation models
* Explains the concept of cellular systems and their design
* Covers GSM and IS-95 and reviews paging systems, first generation cellular systems, wireless telephony, trunking systems and wireless local loops
* Features HSCSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and WLAN technologies
* Includes an introduction to smart antennas
The extensive scope of Mobile Communication Systems ensures it will be a valuable reference for communication students and engineers wishing to learn about every aspect of this fascinating and fast evolving field.
Die Grundlagen der Mobilkommunikation - übersichtlich und umfassend behandelt! Ausgehend von den theoretischen Grundlagen der Mobilkommunikation beschreibt der Autor Kanaleigenschaften, Grundkonzepte und Entwurf zellularer Systeme, GSM, CDMA, drahtlose Telefonie, UMTS und adaptive Antennen.
"...a good guide to current and future mobile communications systems..." (IEEE Communications Magazine, May 2002)
Table of Contents
Elements of the theory of digital communication systems theory.
Overview and classification of mobile communication systems.
Characterization of the mobile communication channel.
The cellular system concept.
First generation cellular telephony- NMT and AMPS examples.
GSM cellular telephony - architecture and system aspects.
GSM cellular telephony - physical layer.
Data transmission in GSM.
CDMA in mobile communication systems.
Description of IS-95 system.
Digital cordless telephony.
Wireless local loops.
Satellite mobile communication systems.
Wireless Local Area Networks.
Third generation mobile communication systems.
Application of smart antennas in ceullular telephony.