Synopses & Reviews
A developer’s approach to developing innovative mobile and wireless solutions
Mobile and Wireless Design Essentials is the first and only book that provides a detailed analysis of the complete range of current mobile and wireless technologies from a software developer’s perspective. It examines such topics as wireless Internet, smart client and messaging mobile computing models, wireless security, and voice application development. Also explored is the full spectrum of wireless networks including Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and 3G. You’ll find easy-to-understand guidelines and pointers on how to implement a mobile and wireless application to extend your enterprise systems and meet your company’s needs.
This book presents key information on:
- How to build smart client applications using mobile database and synchronization technologies
- The complete spectrum of messaging technologies, including email, SMS, MMS, WAP Push, and application-to-application messaging
- Wireless Internet architectures and related markup languages, including HDML, WML, cHTML, XHTML, and VoiceXML
- Technologies that complement enterprise mobile solutions, including PIM and location-based services
- Resources and Web sites to consult for industry specifications, downloadable software, and mobile and wireless updates–in dozens of clear, easily referenced tables
- Describes mobile and wireless design techniques from the developer's perspective, offering in-depth analysis of the complete range of network technologies
- Details development options for building Smart Client, Thin Client, and messaging applications as well as PIM (personal information management) and location-based services
- The author is an experienced trainer who leads seminars and workshops worldwide for iAnywhere Solutions, a subsidiary of Sybase
This is the followup to the comprehensive "Mobile and Wireless Architectures, " the leading title to date for wireless and mobile engineers covering a large suite of technologies. This is the developer's guide companion to Lin.
* Describes mobile and wireless design techniques from the developer's perspective, offering in-depth analysis of the complete range of network technologies
* Details development options for building Smart Client, Thin Client, and messaging applications as well as PIM (personal information management) and location-based services
* The author is an experienced trainer who leads seminars and workshops worldwide for iAnywhere Solutions, a subsidiary of Sybase
While mobile and wireless consumer product growth has slowed down, technology development has not since economic ups and downs are inevitable. This is the first book to deliver mobile and wireless design techniques from the developer's perspective.
About the Author
MARTYN MALLICK is Senior Software Engineer in Product Management and Wireless Solutions Evangelist for iAnywhere Solutions, a subsidiary of Sybase Inc. He works with enterprise corporations implementing enterprise mobile solutions, conducts training seminars worldwide on mobile and wireless technology design, development, and deployment, and is a regular guest speaker at major conferences.
Table of Contents
Part One: Introduction to the Mobile and Wireless Landscape.
Chapter 1: Welcome to Mobile and Wireless.
Chapter 2: Mobile Devices.
Chapter 3: Wireless Networks.
Chapter 4: Mobile Application Architectures.
Chapter 5: Mobile and Wireless Messaging.
Chapter 6: Mobile and Wireless Security.
Part Two: Building Smart Client Applications.
Chapter 7: Smart Client Overview.
Chapter 8: Smart Client Development.
Chapter 9: Persistent Data on the Client.
Chapter 10: Enterprise Integration through Synchronization.
Part Three: Building Wireless Internet Applications.
Chapter 11: Thin Client Overview.
Chapter 12: Thin Client Development.
Chapter 13: Wireless Languages and Content-Generation Technologies.
Chapter 14: Wireless Internet Technology and Vendors.
Chapter 15: Voice Applications with VoiceXML.
Part Four: Beyond Enterprise Data.
Chapter 16: Mobile Information Management.
Chapter 17: Location-Based Services.
Chapter 18: Other Useful Technologies.