Synopses & Reviews
It's fun to make your own natural soaps at home!
Susan Miller Cavitch takes the mystery out of soapmaking, sharing her formulas for making high-quality vegetable-based soaps that are good for your skin -- and free of synthetic additives.
The Natural Soap Book gives you:
* Clear directions and illustrations to guide you step-by-step through the entire process -- from buying supplies to cutting and trimming the final bars.
* Recipes for old favorites like oatmeal/honey and avocado soaps to Susan's unique recipes for goat milk, borage, and even a tropical shampoo bar.
* Creative wrapping and gift packaging ideas.
* Formulas for exotic specialty scents like Holiday Spice, Sweet Earth, and Southern Summers.
* Profiles and tips from professional soapmakers.
An inspiring exploration of the goodness of chemical- and additive-free soap. 102,000 copies in print.
An inspiring exploration of the goodness of chemical- and additive-free soap. The definitive resource for making vegetable-based soaps from scratch, with 162,000 copies in print.
The definitive resource for making vegetable-based soaps from scratch, from buying supplies to cutting the final bars.
About the Author
Author Susan Miller Cavitch is the founder and president of Soap Essentials, Inc., a Memphis-based retail mail-order company producing homemade herbal products. She is the author of The Natural Soap Book and The Soapmaker's Companion. Susan lives in Eads, Tennessee.
Table of Contents
Part One: Understanding the Basics
Chapter 1: The Kinds of Soap
Part Two: The Ingredients
Chapter 2: Characteristics of Oils, Fats, and their Soaps
Chapter 3: Lye and Water
Chapter 4: Scents
Chapter 5: Colorants
Chapter 6: Nutrients
Chapter 7: Preservatives
Part Three: Making Soaps
Chapter 8: Getting Started: Equipment and Supplies
Chapter 9: Recipes
Chapter 10: Diagnosing Signs of Trouble
Chapter 11: Cutting and Trimming
Part Four: Beyond the Basics
Chapter 12: Creative Ideas for Wrapping Soap
Chapter 13: The Chemistry of Soapmaking
Appendix A. Suppliers
Appendix B. Soapmaking Businesses
Glossary: The Language of Soap
Related Reading Material