Synopses & Reviews
Detailed coverage of the three high-end speedlights built exclusively for new Nikon SLRs
Nikon speedlights put creative control of flash at the photographer's command, and with Nikon's Creative Lighting System, flash control is practically intuitive and possibilities are seemingly endless. However, setting up, synchronizing the equipment, and determining lighting ratios can be a daunting task. This new edition of a bestseller puts your mind at ease in a flash.
Award-winning photographer Benjamin Edwards begins with the basics and demystifies the complexities of using multiple speedlights, adjusting flash outputs, and setting up a wireless studio in an understandable, approachable way.
- Teaches you how to fill in shadows, reveal detail, and add a sense of motion or visual effects to your images, all with automatic ease and total wireless control
- Includes coverage of other Creative Lighting System components such as Nikon's wireless commander and macro speedlights
- Explores the basic functions of the SB-910, continues with the SB-700 and the similar, but less expensive, SB-600
- Boasts unique, detailed advice on lighting specific subjects: weddings, pets, product shots, corporate locations, portraits, large groups, sports, and much more
While the Nikon Creative Lighting System speedlights are like having a low cost, wireless, studio lighting system that's portable enough to fit in a camera bag, this invaluable guide does fit in your camera bag and goes where you go to help you take control of this amazing lighting system.
The creative lighting possibilities using Nikon SB-900, SB-700, SB-600, SB-400, SB-R200, R1C1 Wireless close-up and R1 Wireless close-up systems are endless: automatic balanced fill-flash, repeating flash, slow shutter effects. And, don’t forget the professional results one can get using multiple speedlights. Nikon calls this their Creative Lighting System, and it’s like having a low cost, wireless, studio lighting system that’s portable enough to fit in a camera bag. The possibilities are endless yet setting up, synchronizing the equipment, and determining lighting ratios can be a daunting task. That’s where the Nikon Creative Lighting System Digital Field Guide, Third Editioncomes in. Coverage begins with the basic functions of the SB-900, continues with the SB-700 and the similar, but less expensive, SB-600. Later the author demystifies the complexities of using multiple speedlights, adjusting flash outputs, and setting up a wireless studio. This book includes coverage of other Creative Lighting System components such as Nikon’s wireless commander and macro speedlights. Best of all, it is also full of unique, detailed advice on lighting specific subjects: weddings, nature and wildlife, product shots, corporate locations, portraits, large groups, architecture, sports, and much more!
Expert advice and full-color photos help you get the most out of your Nikon D5100
As a high-end entry-level DSLR camera, the Nikon D5100 offers full HDR capability as well as new and creative options. This handy, portable guide walks you through how to make the most of the D5100's enhanced night vision shooting, automatic HDR system, and enhanced audio capability. Veteran digital photographer and author J. Dennis Thomas shows you how to capture everything from amazing still photos to cinematic-quality movies with the new 1080p HD video.
- Walks you through the essential controls, features, and functions using step-by-step instructions
- Features inspiring full-color photos as well as helpful full-color images of each menu screen
- Teaches you how to adjust white balance, autofocus, exposure, and choose various lenses and then goes on to explain when and why to adjust each of these settings
- Shares amazing examples as well as tips and tricks to capturing amazing portraits, candids, sports, travel, macro photography, and more
- Serves as a refresher guide to the principles of digital photography by covering the essentials of lighting, composition, and exposure
- Includes a free gray/color checker card helps you achieve accurate white balance and color in all your photographs
If you're ready to go beyond the basics with your Nikon D5100, then this book is just what you need in order to produce amazing photos.
Expand your creativity with the Nikon Creative Lighting System
With the latest version of the Nikon Creative Lighting System, you can take control of light like never before. This hands-on guide will help you master not only the basics, but also workarounds, customized lighting solutions, and creative lighting techniques that will take your photography to a new level. Get specific tips for common shooting situations, and take full advantage of the Nikon CLS.
Explore the different types of Speedlights and how each one works
Get familiar with standard and custom functions and settings
Set up a wireless studio that you can take anywhere
Learn to direct, shape, and modify light from the camera position
Master advanced techniques for action, night, portrait, product, and wedding photography
Inside – your free gray and color checker card to help you achieve accurate white balance and color
About the Author
Benjamin Edwards is a professional wedding, portrait, and humanitarian photographer who, along with his wife Lauren, owns and operates Benjamin Edwards Photography. Inspired by Kevin Kubota, he contributed behind the scenes to Kevin Kubota's Lighting Notebook: 101 Lighting Styles and Setups for Digital Photographers, also published by Wiley.
Table of Contents
Quick Tour 1
CHAPTER 1 Exploring the Nikon Creative Lighting System 7
CHAPTER 2 Setting Up Your Nikon Speedlights 4
CHAPTER 3 Flash Photography Fundamentals 73
CHAPTER 4 Advanced Wireless Lighting 113
CHAPTER 5 Setting Up a Portable Studio 125
CHAPTER 6 Advanced Flash Techniques 145
CHAPTER 7 Flash Techniques for Portrait Photography 159
APPENDIX A Creative Lighting System Gallery 175
APPENDIX B Resources 193
APPENDIX C How to Use the Gray Card and Color Checker 197