Synopses & Reviews
The essential cookbook for anyone who follows a low-sodium diet (and enjoys throwing dinner parties)
Millions of people live with hypertension or chronic kidney disease, and for them, eating a diet low in sodium is a vital part of maintaining good health. And, on average, Americans consumer more than double the lower recommended daily intake. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough great low-sodium cookbooks that offer the kind of dishes that home cooks want. But not any more! In Sodium Girl's Limitless Low-Sodium Cookbook, Jessica Goldman Foung, the blogger behind SodiumGirl.com, presents an enticing collection of recipes that bring color and excitement toa low-sodium diet. With creative substitutions, Foung shows people how to lose the sale and keep the foods they love. With this vibrant cookbook, eating great and staying healthy are one in the same, proving low-sodium can be a delight and not just a doctor's orders.
- Includes delicious recipes for low-sodium meals of all kinds, including the traditionally salty foods you love most, like bloody marys and buffalo wings
- Features gorgeous full-color photographs by popular blogger and photographer Matt Armendariz
- Features recipe contributions from several world-renowned chefs, including Hubert Keller and Trace Des Jardins
- Offers helpful information on dining out, traveling, and stocking a low-sodium pantry
Whether you've just been diagnosed with a condition that demands a low-sodium diet, or you just want to maintain a healthy lifestyle, Sodium Girl's Limitless Low-Sodium Cookbook is the perfect resource for your low-sodium kitchen!
"With personal flourishes and encouragement and detailed sodium-content information, Gazzaniga dishes up a cookbook that's ...creative and satisfying."--Publishers Weekly
Donald Gazzaniga, diagnosed with congestive heart failure, was headed for a heart transplant - the only effective medical treatment. Urged by his doctor to keep his sodium intake "under 1,500-2000 mg. a day," Don headed for the kitchen and went to work. Aware that cutting out table salt is the barest beginning of a true low-sodium diet, Don devised recipes for delicious low-sodium dishes that added up to less than 500 mg. daily, 70% lower than those in other low-sodium cookbooks. The result? Don's name has been removed from the transplant list and his doctors believe that his diet played a significant role.
The No-Salt, Lowest-Sodium Cookbook contains:
* Hundreds of good tasting, easy-to-make recipes
* An introduction by Dr. Sandra Barbour of the Kaiser Permanente Foundation
* Advice on finding low-sodium prepared foods, eating in restaurants, etc.
* Accurate sodium content of every ingredient and of the total servings
* A twenty-eight-day low-sodium menu planner by Dr. Jeannie Gazzaniga, Ph.D., R.D.
This book is for informational purposes only. Readers are advised to consult a physician before making any major change in diet.
An essential resource and cookbook for 75 million sufferers of hypertension and 20 million sufferers of chronic kidney disease who would benefit from a low-sodium diet.
About the Author
Jessica Goldman Foung is the voice behind the popular blog SodiumGirl.com, which doles out exciting recipes for people on low-sodium diets. She has written about low-sodium foods for the San Francisco Chronicle, the Huffington Post, Better Homes and Gardens, and Living Without magazine, among other publications. SodiumGirl.com was nominated as one of Saveur's Best Food Blogs of 2012.