Synopses & Reviews
Authoritative guidance for controlling noise and vibration
In today's competitive marketplace, noise and vibration control have become very important in the design of many products, from automobiles to aircraft to consumer appliances. Providing broad coverage of both principles and applications that engineers and designers must know, Noise and Vibration Control Engineering: Principles and Applications, Second Edition is a complete resource of critical noise control design information in one concise and manageable volume.
Presenting the latest information on commonly found noise and vibration problems, this Second Edition has been thoroughly updated and reviewed by István Vér and Leo Beranek, who compiled new as well as fully revised chapters on the latest developments in the field, written by some of the top acoustic engineers and scientists in the world. New material covers:
- Noise generation
- HVAC systems
- Active noise and vibration control
- Sound absorbing materials and structures
- Outdoor noise propagation
- Criteria for noise control in buildings
- Passive silencers
- Acoustical standards
- And much more!
"Some things get better with age, e.g. women, wine and pea soup. This is also true here. Each new book in this 'series' of books started by Leo Beranek in 1960 and continued with help from Istvan Ver has gotten better. They all maintain a depth that is not available in many of the other books available on noise control. This book has a excellent balance of practical and therefore useful guidelines and theoretical modeling with equations and data to support and permit easy extension of the guidelines to most of the situations faced by noise control engineers. In general, one will not be buried in math that does not lead to meaningful help for noise control engineers looking for solutions to real problems. Anyone serious about noise control should have this book available, even if you are like me and have the other three proceeding books in this 'series'." (Noise Control Engineering Journal, July/August 2008)
Noise and Vibration Control Engineering: Principles and Applications, Second Edition is the updated revision of the classic reference containing the most important noise control design information in a single volume of manageable size. Specific content updates include completely revised material on noise and vibration standards, updated information on active noise/vibration control, and the applications of these topics to heating, ventilating, and air conditioning.
About the Author
ISTVÁN L. VÉR
, PhD, is a highly respected member of the acoustical engineering community. He is a principal scientist emeritus of Bolt, Beranek and Newman, Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, and board-certified member and former director of the Institute of Noise Control Engineering.
LEO L. BERANEK, PhD, is cofounder and President of Bolt, Beranek and Newman. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
Table of Contents
1. Basic Acoustical Quantities: Levels and Decibels (Leo L. Beranek).
2. Waves and Impedances (Leo L. Beranek).
3. Data Analysis (Allan G. Piersol).
4. Determination of Sound Power Levels and Directivity of Noise Sources (William W. Lang, George C. Maling, Jr., Matthew A. Nobile, and Jiri Tichy).
5. Outdoor Sound Propagation (Ulrich J. Kurze and Grant S. Anderson).
6. Sound in Small Enclosures (Donald J. Nefske and Shung H. Sung).
7. Sound in Rooms (Murray Hodgson and John Bradley).
8. Sound-Absorbing Materials and Sound Absorbers (Keith Attenborough and István L. Vér).
9. Passive Silencers (M. L. Munjal, Anthony G. Galaitsis and István L. Vér).
10. Sound Generation (István L. Vér).
11. Interaction of Sound Waves with Solid Structures (István L. Vér).
12. Enclosures, Cabins, and Wrappings (István L. Vér).
13. Vibration Isolation (Eric E. Ungar and Jeffrey A. Zapfe).
14. Structural Damping (Eric E. Ungar and Jeffrey A. Zapfe).
15. Noise of Gas Flows (H. D. Baumann and W. B. Coney).
16. Prediction of Machinery Noise (Eric W. Wood and James D. Barnes).
17. Noise Control in Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning Systems (Alan T. Fry and Douglas H. Sturz).
18. Active Control of Noise and Vibration (Ronald Coleman and Paul J. Remington).
19. Damage Risk Criteria for Hearing and Human Body Vibration (Suzanne D. Smith, Charles W. Nixon and Henning E. Von Gierke).
20. Criteria for Noise in Buildings and Communities (Leo L. Beranek).
21. Acoustical Standards for Noise and Vibration Control (Angelo Campanella, Paul Schomer and Laura Ann Wilber).
Appendix A. General References.
Appendix B. American System of Units.
Appendix C. Conversion Factors.