Synopses & Reviews
Service Principles from America's #1 Customer Service Company
Praise for The Nordstrom Way
"For anyone looking to understand customer service at its best, this book bubbles with insights."
"Outstanding customer service and Nordstrom are synonymous. Their standards of excellence are what we all shoot for."
David D. Glass, former chairman and CEO, Wal-Mart
"American business should use this book as a primer to learn how to make and keep happy, satisfied customers."
J. W. Marriott Jr., Chairman and President, Marriott International
"The Nordstrom Way takes an unusual look at the direct link between empowering your employees and creating a long-term relationship with your customers. More businesses should follow their example."
Howard Schultz, Chairman, Starbucks Coffee
The Nordstrom Way to Customer Service Excellence describes how Nordstrom earned its legendary reputationand reveals the principles behind its phenomenal customer service. If you want to be the Nordstrom of your industry, this is your guidebook. It will help any company put in place Nordstrom-style systems, motivational tools, and a service-oriented culture that leads to delighted, loyal customers.
This comprehensive handbook includes a wealth of new exercises for managers and trainers who work with frontline service providers. Implementation resources include:
- Questions for assessing and improving your customer service culture
- Exercises for improving teamwork, motivation, and selling effectiveness among your frontline employees
- Secrets of Nordstrom's all-time top-selling salesperson
First published in 1995, The Nordstrom Way is a classic guide to great customer service. This new book replaces The Nordstrom Way with an even more practical guide to becoming the “Nordstrom” of your industry. Designed for customer service managers and trainers, as well as business owners, it’s an invaluable resource for designing your own programs and initiatives. The authors not only explain the principles of the world’s best customer service company, they also show you how to implement them in your own organization. The Nordstrom Way to Customer Service Excellence will help your business make customers its number one concern, and help make your business number one in your industry.
About the Author
ROBERT SPECTOR is a bestselling business book author and international speaker on Nordstrom's principles of customer service. He has spoken to companies such as Cadillac, Dell, Wells Fargo, and the Red Cross. He has written for the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Women's Wear Daily. To book Robert as a speaker, visit www.robertspector.com.
PATRICK McCARTHY worked at Nordstrom for more than thirty years and was the company's all-time top-performing salesperson.
Table of Contents
PART I: What Managers Can Do to Create Nordstrom-Style Service.
1. The Nordstrom Story: How a Century of Family Leadership Created a Culture of Entrepreneurship, Consensus, and Service.
Exercise: What Is Our Company’s History?
2. Spreading the Service Culture: Publicly Celebrate Your Heroes; Promote from Within.
Exercise: Tell the Story of Your Company’s Heroes.
Exercise: What Do We Stand For?
3. Line Up and Cheer for Your Customer: Create an Inviting Place to Do Business.
Exercise: You’re the Customer.
Exercise: Call Your Company.
Exercise: Surf Your Company’s Web Site.
4. How Can I Help You? Provide Your Customers with Lots of Choices.
Exercise: Expand Your Customers’ Choices.
PART II: What Supervisors Can Do to Create Nordstrom-Style Service.
5. Nordstrom’s #1 Customer Service Strategy: Hire the Smile.
Exercise: Hiring Questionnaire.
6. That’s My Job: Empower Employees to Act Like Entrepreneurs to Satisfy the Customer.
Exercise: What Does Empowerment Mean?
Exercise: Empowering Compensation.
7. Dump the Rules: Tear Down the Barriers to Exceptional Customer Service.
Exercise: Examine Your Rules.
8. This Is How We Do It: Manage, Mentor, and Maintain Great Employees.
Exercise: How Do We Develop Our Employees?
9. Recognition, Competition, and Praise: Create a Sustainable, Emotional Bond with Your Employees.
Exercise: Praising Your Employees.
Exercise: Organize Recognition Meetings.
Exercise: Make Your Company Special.
Exercise: Goal Setting.
Exercise: Customer Feedback: Letters.
PART III: What Employees Can Do to Create Nordstrom-Style Service.
10. Sell the Relationship: How Frontline Salespeople Create Lifetime Customers.
Exercise: Measuring Both Feet.
Exercise: Tracking Spheres of Influence.
Exercise: Rewarding Vendors and Suppliers.
11. The Sale Is Never Over: Secrets of Nordstrom’s All-Time Top-Performing Salesperson.
Exercise: Create Your Own System.
Exercise: Get Feedback from the Customer.
12. Play to Win: Encourage Teamwork and Team Competitions at Every Level of Your Organization.
Exercise: Team Achievement.
Exercise: Teamwork Requirements.
Exercise: Ethical Behavior.
Appendix Nordstrom Heroics: Inspirational Tales of Teamwork and Legendary Customer Service.