Synopses & Reviews
In Northern Knits Gifts
, knitwear and textile designer Lucinda Guy continues her exploration of folk-knitting traditions in this colorful volume of small projects and accessories. You'll learn some of the traditional knitting techniques of Scandinavia, Estonia, Iceland, and the Faroe and Shetland islands, through modern interpretations of such heritage techniques as twined knitting, two-color knitting, lace techniques, damask, fair isle, embroidery, and rya (knotted knitting similar to shag carpet).
Accompanied by notes on the history and folk culture surrounding each technique, the projects in the book embrace the Danish notion of hyggetaking pleasure in comforting and cozy things, which is often associated with family and close friends. The 20 projects include mittens, socks, hats, scarves, and bags, and are perfect for wearing and gifting. Emphasizing pattern and color, these knitted designs also embody the Scandinavian aesthetic of making utilitarian objects beautiful as well as useful.
Additionally, the book celebrates the specific wools traditionally used in each project. Immerse yourself in Lucinda's world as you enjoy thumbnail sketches of the history and folk culture surrounding each technique.
About the Author
Lucinda Guy is a knitwear and textile designer as well as the author of several books, including Northern Knits (Interweave, 2010). She has sold her knitwear designs to Edina Ronay, Laura Ashley, Marks and Spencer, and Rowan Yarns. She lives and teaches in England.
Table of Contents
SHETLAND ISLES 2 Projects (Yarn: Jamieson and Smith )
1. SCARF: Long, narrow cream/natural lace weight scarf in J&S lace weight
2. SOCKS: Blue, brown and bright-colored Fair Isle socks with a small lace border
in J&S 2ply jumper weight yarn (size medium).
ICELAND 3 Projects (Yarn: Istex)
1. HAT: Light grey, textured unisex (but to fit a man's size head) beanie in
2. SCARF: A matching scarf in Istex Plötulopi.
3. MITTS: Cream and various natural tones, long fingerless mitts with a lace
border and patterned color work in Istex Lodband lace weight yarn (size
SWEDEN 3 Projects (Yarn: Ullcentrum)
1. MITTENS: Petrol and cream colored patterned and embroidered mittens in
Ullcentrums 2thread yarn (size medium).
2. HAT: Red twined knitted hat with a simple crook stitch border, small
white pattern detail and tassel (size medium).
3. SCARF: Red and White patterned twined long scarf.
NORWAY 2 Projects (Yarn: Dale of Norway and Hifa)
1. MITTS: One pair of cream colored twined mitts with the wrong side
showing, simple dark grey and blue embroidery and dark grey fringe (size
2. BABY BLANKET: Babies pram blanket in warm brown with cream pattern and
orange and light pink embroidery highlights knitted in Hifas Troll yarn.
(Although the swatch is knitted in blue the final blanket will be in the
soft brown shown in the photo).
ESTONIA 2 Projects (Yarn: Kauni)
1. DOLL: One folksy toy doll wearing a stripey skirt and peasant blouse
knitted in Kauni yarn.
2. WOMENS CARDIGAN: Womens lace patterned cardigan in natural/ecru with
bright crochet edgings.
FAROES 2 Projects (Yarn: Sirri)
1. SLIPPERS: Womens slippers with single snowflake pattern.
2. DOOR STOP: Bird-shaped doorstop with embroidered detail and filled with
FINLAND 4 Projects (Yarn: Riihivila)
1. CHILDS SWEATER: Patterned sweater for a 45 year old child.
2. CHILDS HAT: Patterned matching hat for a 45 year old child.
3. MITTENS: Adult patterned mittens.
4. HAT: Adult matching patterned hat with pompom.
DENMARK 2 projects (Yarn: Isager)
1. SOCKS: Womens house socks in one color with Damask patterning.
2. CUSHION: Cushion with large stylized flower motif with pattern in
damask and plenty of colored embroidery and rya tufts of color and