Synopses & Reviews
Create your own iPhone OS and Mac OS X applications with ease!
Objective-C for iPhone Developers: A Beginner's Guide shows you how to use the Objective-C programming language and Apple's Foundation Framework so you can write innovative Mac OS software and iPhone applications. The first stop for aspiring iPhone developers, this hands-on guide teaches you, step-by-step, how to create well-organized and focused applications that have a simple and easy user interface.
Objective-C for iPhone Developers: A Beginner's Guide features:
- An introduction to Objective-C with a focus on developing apps for the iPhone
- A “from the ground up” approach--no prior experience necessary
- Hands-on tutorials so you can learn by doing
- Real-world examples with corresponding downloadable Xcode projects
Essential programming skills made easy, including:
Introduction to Objective-C and Foundation Framework; Setting Up the iPhone SDK; Primitive Data Types and Operators; Control Statements; Classes, Objects, and Messaging; Properties; Memory Management; Inheritance; Protocols and Categories; Polymorphism; Strings, Numbers, and Dates; Collections; Exceptions and Errors; File I/O; Copying and Archiving; Selectors; Notifications; Multithreaded Programming
Essential Skills--Made Easy!
Create your own iPhone and Mac OS X applications with ease. Objective-C for iPhone Developers: A Beginner's Guide shows you how to use the Objective-C programming language, Apple's Foundation framework, the iPhone SDK, and the Xcode development environment. The first stop for aspiring iPhone developers, this hands-on guide teaches you how to create versatile, innovative, and marketable apps in no time. Real-world examples throughout the book correspond with downloadable Xcode projects and video tutorials so you can get started with your first app right away.
Designed for Easy Learning
- Key Skills and Concepts--Chapter-opening lists of specific skills covered in the chapter
- Ask the Expert--Q&A sections filled with bonus information and helpful tips
- Try This--Hands-on exercises that show you how to apply your skills
- Notes--Extra information related to the topic being covered
- Tips--Helpful reminders or alternative ways of doing things
- Annotated Syntax--Example code with commentary that describes the programming techniques being illustrated
Ready-to-use code at www.mhprofessional.com/computingdownload and www.jamesabrannan.com
"Shows you how to use the Objective-C programming language, Apple's Foundation framework, the iPhone SDK, and the Xcode development environment. ... Real-world examples throughout the book correspond with downloadable Ccode projects and video tutorials so you can get started with your first app right away."
About the Author
James A. Brannan is a registered iPhone developer and creater of several iPhone apps. He is the author of iPhone SDK Programming: A Beginner's Guide and other books. James has worked as a developer since 1994, using languages from Awk to C to Visual Basic. He is currently an independent iPhone consultant working with several clients. Instructural videos can be viewed at the author's website, www.jamesabrannan.com.
Table of Contents
1 Exploring the iPhone SDK and Basic Programming
2 Primitive Data Types and Operators
3 Flow Control Statements, Arrays, and Structures
4 Classes, Objects, and Messaging
5 Memory Management and Properties
7 Protocols and Categories
8 Some Foundation Framework Classes
9 File Handling
10 Property Lists, NSCopy, and Archiving
11 Selectors and Targets
12 The Model View Controller Design Pattern