Synopses & Reviews
Americas best-selling annual publication is also the most beloved. A reference book that reads like a magazine, the Almanac contains “everything under the Sun, including the Moon”—facts, feature articles, and advice that are “useful, with a pleasant degree of humor.” The 2013 edition, which marks the publications 221st anniversary, will feature
• weather predictions for every day and climatic trends for each season, plus hints of how a low sunspot cycle could influence conditions in the coming years
• the most accurate astronomical data in the solar system, with best-viewing recommendations for every month
• safe and easy home remedies for each seasons most common—and uncomfortable—aches and ailments
• fail-safe gardening tips to ensure a hefty harvest, ideas for using vegetable plants as ornamentals, plus gardening by the Moon
• delicious recipes for homebaked cakes, cookies, and pies; plus readers best bacon dishes
• amusing and enlightening articles on raising children, kisses, and why pets bite (and how to stop them)
and much, much more! Added value this year:
• 80 full-color pages
• full-color national weather maps of winter and summer forecasts
As surely as the Sun rises in the east and maple leaves turn color in autumn, The Old Farmer’s Almanac
is back—and it’s better than ever!
Recognized for generations by its familiar yellow cover, America’s best-loved annual and oldest continuously published periodical (now in its 224th year!) promises to be “useful, with a pleasant degree of humor,” once again fulfilling both the mission set forth by its founder, Robert B. Thomas, and readers’ expectations. This edition is packed with wit, wisdom, tips, advice, facts, fun, and recipes, including:
• traditionally 80 percent–accurate weather forecasts
• how to make sausages at home
• “creatures from hell”
• grow your own beer (ingredients)
• time- and money-saving tips
• unmasked mysteries of plant seed dispersal
• bale, key, and concrete block gardens
• quirky origins of American horse breeds
• history, lore, and more about birthstones
Plus, Moon phases and other celestial sightings, tides, gardening tables, best days to do things, and more.
Added value this year:
• 96 full-color pages
• full-color winter and summer weather maps
• updated Reference section
Often imitated, but never equaled. Accept no substitutes!
About the Author
America's best-selling annual publication, with facts, feature articles, and advice that are "useful, with a pleasant degree of humor."