Synopses & Reviews
A project manager's survival guide—Tells you everything you need to know to develop software on time, within budget, and to your clients' complete satisfaction
For every exhausted project manager, here is something that's guaranteed to save you many a sleepless night. It's a unique survival guide packed with expert advice, guidelines, and tips and tricks that make it easier than ever to develop software on schedule, within budget, and to your clients' total satisfaction.
Short on theory and long on valuable nuts-and-bolts information, On Time, Within Budget schools you in proven techniques for successfully managing every aspect of the software development cycle, from cost estimate to product delivery. Organized for quick access, it routes you directly to what you need to know about:
- Managing projects in a client/server environment
- CASE tools
- The most common development problems and how to avoid them
- Preparing estimates and proposals and bidding for contracts
- Managing teams for maximum quality and productivity
- Managing large projects—including new techniques for subdividing them into smaller, more manageable pieces
- Working with DOD 2167, IEEE, ISO 9000, British, European, and other commonly used software development standards
- Scheduling and the project development plan—covers Gantt and PERT charts, the work breakdown structure (WBS), and other proven scheduling and planning techniques
If you are struggling to produce a client/server system on schedule, without breaking the bank, this book is definitely for you.
A developer's survival guide packed with real-life case
studies, tips, techniques, and best practices for completing software projects on time and within budget
Whether you work at a large or small company, this book will provide you with expert, down-in-the-trenches tips, techniques, and strategies to deliver a software project in a cost-effective and timely way. Real-life case studies let you learn from the mistakes as well as the successes of others. Author E. M. Bennatan zeroes in on proven methods for avoiding bottlenecks and overruns at every step in the software development cycle--from cost estimating to product delivery.
The Third Edition of this bestselling guide routes you directly to what you need to know about:
* Managing both small and large projects in a distributed environment
* Common development problems and how to avoid them
* Preparing estimates and proposals and bidding for contracts
* Managing teams for maximum quality and productivity
* Proven scheduling and project development planning techniques
New to this edition:
* How best to ensure an effective relationship with customers
* Risk management and disaster prevention
* The pros and cons of acquiring custom software from outside suppliers
* Managing multinational projects
* How to save time by reusing software components
About the Author
'E. M. BENNATAN spent many years leading a multinational software design center for Motorola. He was also responsible for program management of Motorola\'s High Availability Systems Corporate-wide Initiative. Bennatan has over twenty years\' experience in software development and software project management and is a member of the IEEE Computer Society and the ACM.'
Table of Contents
Introduction to Software Project Management.
Software Development Problems.
Software Development Under Contract.
The Software Development Cycle.
Principles of Managing Software Engineers.
How to Handle Large Projects: Divide and Conquer.
Software Project Management in a Client/Server Environment.
Project Support Functions.
Software Development Standards.
The Preparation of Estimates: Methods and Techniques.