Synopses & Reviews
Oracle 10g Developing Media Rich Applications is focused squarely on database administrators and programmers as the foundation of multimedia database applications. With the release of Oracle8 Database in 1997, Oracle became the first commercial database with integrated multimedia technology for application developers. Since that time, Oracle has enhanced and extended these features to include native support for image, audio, video and streaming media storage; indexing, retrieval and processing in the Oracle Database, Application Server; and development tools. Databases are not only words and numbers for accountants, but they also should utilize a full range of media to satisfy customer needs, from race car engineers, to manufacturing processes to security.
The full range of audio, video and integration of media into databases is mission critical to these applications. This book details the most recent features in Oracle’s multimedia technology including those of the Oracle10gR2 Database and the Oracle9i Application Server. The technology covered includes: object relational media storage and services within the database, middle tier application development interfaces, wireless delivery mechanisms, and Java-based tools.
* Gives broad coverage to integration of multimedia features such as audio and instrumentation video, from race cars to analyze performance, to voice and picture recognition for security data bases. As well as full multimedia for presentations
* Includes field tested examples in enterprise environments
* Provides coverage in a thorough and clear fashion developed in a London University Professional Course
About the Author
Professor of IT, TVU London University since September, 2001, formally lecturing posts in Computing at The Open University and the University of Luton, 1986-98. She is currently programme leader for the undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes in Computing and Information Systems at TVU, London. She recently published a textbook on ‘Multimedia Databases’ for Addison Wesley. Project Review Officer, responsible for IT and MIS systems, at Local Government Management Board, from 1982-1985, having been promoted from the post of Head of Local Government Examination Section. Database administrator for large-scale UK government databases. Systems Analyst PPEB/JADPU Home Office & Police Computer Unit, 1975-78
Member of the Technical Staff - Oracle Corporation
Table of Contents
Oracle Database and Application Server 10g; What they Mean For Business Goals for this book
- Drivers: web, wireless, digital imagery
- Segments: banking, security, defence, real estate, retail
2. Multimedia Explained
Digital Media Formats
- file formats
- compression schemes
- pixel formats
- image formats
- audio formats
- video formats
3. How does Oracle10g support image, audio and video content?
Media in relational tables
4. Getting Ready: What you need to know before you media-enhance your application.
Planning The Development Process.
Middle Tier Architecture
- Oracle Application Server Wireless
- media adaptation
- streaming video services
5. Building the database
Database Administrator Role
Installation & Upgrades
- installation & configuration
- installation check
- verify installation
6. Protecting your data
Performing Essential intermediaTasks
Optimizing the Configuration of the Database Engine.
Performance tuning - Tools to Measure Performance
7. Where and how to use intermedia
Database Programmer Role
Management Utility -Enterprise Manager
8. Building a simple application
Looking Behind the Scenes.
- bulk loading
9. Creating image audio, and video objects with intermedia Exploring the Benefits of Using Objects.
Java Media Classes
-Ord Image Class
-Ord Audio Class
-Ord Video Class
-Ord Doc Class
-Common Object Methods
- interMedia classes for servlets and JSPs
Reviewing Objects, Properties, and Methods.
10. Java Application Development
-Java Servlet Classes
-Java Servlet Access
-Java HTTP Download To Browser
-Java HTTP Upload from Browser
11. Advanced Queries - Content Based Retrieval.
Problems & challenges
Image content based retrieval
- image signature
- specialized index
- image matching
- domains of utility
Speech content based retrieval
- 3rd party speech recognition
- speech index
- text based speech mining
12. Java Development Tools
- JDeveloper & BC4J
- Java Advanced Imaging
- Java Media Framework
Java Delivery JSPs
JSP Tag Library
13. Using PL/SQL for intermedia applications
Server Side Sql
Understanding Queries using Intermedia objects
Mastering multimedia Queries.
Optimizing Queries. Summary.
14. Multimedia Database Middleware
Coping with multimedia data on networks
Oracle Application Server 10i
Media adaptation services
Wireless media delivery
Database Security and Reliability
15. XML and SMIL: Something to Smile About
Portal forms and reports
16. Understanding the Big Picture.
Putting It All Together.
Tips and Techniques.
Appendix A: Installing Oracle Intermedia.
Appendix B: About PL/SQL Versions. intermedia Resources for PL/SQL Developers
Appendix C: CD Contents.