Synopses & Reviews
Get The Ins-and-Outs of SQL and PL/SQL From an Oracle Expert
Perform database functions quickly and easily using the comprehensive information in this step-by-step guide. Oracle professional Christopher Allen begins with database basics and progresses to plain-language explanations and real-world examples of SQL statements and PL/SQL programs. Youll learn how to manage, query, and manipulate data, use SQL*Plus, create SQL functions, and write practical PL/SQL applications. Review questions, chapter summaries, and hands-on projects will have you understanding and exploiting the powerful features of Oracle Database 10g in no time.
- Create tables, rows, records, columns, and fields
- Store text, numbers, dates, pictures, and soundfiles in tables and columns
- Define, manipulate, retrieve, and delete data, using SQL commands
- Select, sort, and filter records with SQL functions and procedures
- Write SQL commands to declare variables using anchored types
- Use SAVEPOINT and ROLLBACK commands to ensure multilevel undo
- Perform time-based and hierarchical data queries
- Edit and reuse commands in script files, using the SQL*Plus program
- Use PL/SQL views, sequences, procedures, functions, and packages
- Use triggers to automate auditing, security, and maintenance tasks
The only official Oracle entry-level book on PL/SQL, this guide is easy to understand with solid technical depth. The tutorial approach includes such elements as glossaries, step-by-step examples and quizzes. It covers everything contained in an introductory course to Oracle's SQL and PL/SQL and more. 50 illustrations.
Obtain the solid foundation you need to become an effective database programmer with this nuts-and-bolts PS/SQL book from Oracle Press. Step-by-step coverage includes storing, retrieving, and manipulating data, and a broad range of SQL and PL/SQL functions and tools. Real-life examples and hands-on projects help you see how to apply what you have learned.
About the Author
Christopher Allen (Santa Monica, CA) has been a database professional for almost 20 ears. He is an OCP DBA and an OCP Application Developer and has worked on numerous Oracle Financials implementations. In addition, he has taught several hundred computer classes to adults, resulting in extensive experience communicating technical information in ways that are easy to absorb and easy to remember. His published works include the Oracle Certified Professional Application Developer Exam Guide (co-author, Oracle Press), Hard Disk Smarts (John Wiley Publishing), and four books on Lotus (Que). He also served as technical editor for Microsoft's DOS 5 and DOS 6 manuals. He is currently employed at Metier, an Oracle partner company that provides consulting services in the Los Angeles area.
Table of Contents
PART I Database Basics
1 Introduction to Databases
2 Storing and Retrieving Data: The Basics
3 Advanced Data Manipulation
4 Controlling SQL*Plus
PART II Advanced SQL
5 SQL Functions
6 Using Indexes and Constraints
7 Other Useful Oracle Techniques
PART III Create Programs Using PL/SQL
8 Introduction to PL/SQL
9 More PL/SQL ToolsGlossary of Common Oracle Terms