Synopses & Reviews
Write Robust PL/SQL Applications
Create dynamic client/server applications using PL/SQL and the comprehensive information contained in this authoritative volume. Expert Oracle insiders cover the features of PL/SQL, explain scripting semantics and syntax, and fully detail the PL/SQL functionality of Oracle Database 10g. Youll learn how to write powerful PL/SQL programs, interact with Oracle databases, perform complex calculations, and handle error conditions. Plus, youll get insider programming tips and techniques and real-world examples from the Oracle community.
- Develop, tune, and debug PL/SQL programs that access Oracle databases from a wide variety of environments
- Use PL/SQL block structures, variables, datatypes, expressions, operators, and statements
- Regulate and recover from errors using exceptions and exception handlers
- Deploy subprograms, procedures, functions, packages, and triggers
- Accomplish intersession communication with DBMS_PIPE and DBMS_ALERT
- Write object-oriented PL/SQL applications
- Manage large sets of data using PL/SQL records and objects
- Work with Oracle Net Services, external procedures, Java libraries, and C shared libraries
- Perform object-oriented programming using transient objects, inheritance, type evolution, and attribute chaining
- Automate database tasks with DBMS_JOB and DBMS_SCHEDULER and add e-mail functionality with UTL_SMTP and UTL_MAIL
- Primary Market: Oracle DBAs and developers
- Audience Size/Install Base: Oracle dominates the overall database market with over 39% marketshare.
- Technology/Product Information: PL/SQL is Oracle's proprietary language for manipulating databases. Whether you're a DBA or developer you must be proficient in PL/SQL.
- Market Conditions: PL/SQL is going through enhancements and improvements with the release of Oracle Database 10g. Previous editions of this title have sold over 180,000 units.
Create dynamic client/server applications using PL/SQL and the comprehensive information contained in this authoritative volume. Expert Oracle insiders cover the features of PL/SQL, explain scripting semantics and syntax, and fully detail the PL/SQL functionality of Oracle Database 10"g," You'll learn how to write powerful PL/SQL programs, interact with Oracle databases, perform complex calculations, and handle error conditions.
About the Author
Scott Urman (Foster City, CA) is a senior member of the diagnostic and defect technical staff in the Language Group of Oracle Support Services, where he aids users of Oracle's various language products (PL/SQL, OCI, and the Oracle precompilers). In addition, he reviews Oracle technical documentation, writes white papers on Oracle languages, and makes technical presentations both inside Oracle and at meetings of Oracle User's Groups. Scott is the best-selling author of Oracle Press' Oracle PL/SQL Programming and Oracle8 PL/SQL Programming.
Table of Contents
PART I: Introduction
Chapter 1: Introduction to PL/SQL
Chapter 2: Using SQL*Plus and JDeveloper
Chapter 3: PL/SQL Basics
Chapter 4: Using SQL with PL/SQL
Chapter 5: Records
Chapter 6: Collections
Chapter 7: Error Handling
Chapter 8: Creating Procedures, Functions, and Packages
Chapter 9: Using Procedures, Functions, and Packages
Chapter 10: Database Triggers
PART II: Advanced PL/SQL Features
Chapter 11: Intersession Communication
Chapter 12: External Routines
Chapter 13: Dynamic SQL
Chapter 14: Introduction to Objects
Chapter 15: Objects in the Database
Chapter 16: Large Objects
Chapter 17: Scheduling Tasks
PART III: Appendixes
Appendix A: PL/SQL Reserved Words
Appendix B: Guide to Supplied Packages