Synopses & Reviews
Get The Ins-and-Outs of SQL and PL/SQL From an Oracle Expert
Perform database functions quickly and easily using the comprehensive information in this step-by-step guide. Oracle professional Christopher Allen begins with database basics and progresses to plain-language explanations and real-world examples of SQL statements and PL/SQL programs. Youll learn how to manage, query, and manipulate data, use SQL*Plus, create SQL functions, and write practical PL/SQL applications. Review questions, chapter summaries, and hands-on projects will have you understanding and exploiting the powerful features of Oracle Database 10g in no time.
- Create tables, rows, records, columns, and fields
- Store text, numbers, dates, pictures, and soundfiles in tables and columns
- Define, manipulate, retrieve, and delete data, using SQL commands
- Select, sort, and filter records with SQL functions and procedures
- Write SQL commands to declare variables using anchored types
- Use SAVEPOINT and ROLLBACK commands to ensure multilevel undo
- Perform time-based and hierarchical data queries
- Edit and reuse commands in script files, using the SQL*Plus program
- Use PL/SQL views, sequences, procedures, functions, and packages
- Use triggers to automate auditing, security, and maintenance tasks
Learn to use SQL and PL/SQL in your Oracle database.
Get step-by-step details on performing database tasks quickly and easily.
Oracle PL/SQL 101 explains how to use SQL to work with data in a database, and how to automate complicated tasks using PL/SQL. You¿ll learn by doing--each chapter contains hands-on exercises designed to teach the concepts presented. This easy-to-follow book starts with database basics and then teaches how to store, retrieve, and manipulate data, control SQL*Plus, create and use SQL functions, and write PL/SQL programs.
- Understand the key components of a database--tables, rows, records, columns, and fields
- Create database tables, indexes, and constraints
- Write SQL commands to insert, select, update, and delete data
- Perform advanced data manipulation
- Write complete PL/SQL functions and procedures
- Declare variables using anchored types
- Create PL/SQL packages
- Use triggers to enforce complex business rules and security measures
This in-depth guide explains how to use SQL to work with data in a database, and how to automate complicated tasks using PL/SQL.
Obtain the solid foundation you need to become an effective database programmer with this nuts-and-bolts PS/SQL book from Oracle Press. Step-by-step coverage includes storing, retrieving, and manipulating data, and a broad range of SQL and PL/SQL functions and tools. Real-life examples and hands-on projects help you see how to apply what you have learned.
Table of Contents
Part I: Dabase Basics.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Databases.
Chapter 2: Storing and Retrieving Data: The Basics.
Chapter 3: Advanced Data Manipulation.
Chapter 4: Controlling SQL Plus.
Part II: Advanced SQL.
Chapter 5: SQL Functions.
Chapter 6: Using Indexes and Constraints.
Chapter 7: Other Useful Oracle Techniques.
Part III: Creating Programs Using PL/SQL.
Chapter 8: Introduction to PL/SQL.
Chapter 9: More PL/SQL Tools.
Part IV: Appendix.