Synopses & Reviews
Craft, Implement, and Measure Winning PPC Campaigns
Praise for Pay-Per-Click Search Engine Marketing:An Hour a Day
"Szetela and Kerschbaum have crafted a comprehensive how-to manual that should be on every marketer's bookshelf. Read it to understand the phenomenon that's moving from the search results pages to hot social media properties like Facebook and LinkedIn."
John Sculley, Venture Partner, Rho Ventures; former CEO, Apple Computer and Pepsi; and author of??Odyssey
"David Szetela has earned an enviable reputation as a no-nonsense teacher and practitioner of pay-per-click advertising. This book reduces this complex topic into simple, daily practices that bring more customers with superior return on your investment. This book includes advanced techniques and concepts that 90% of your competition has never seen."
Perry Marshall, author of??The Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords
"David Szetela is like a mad genius of paid search, uncovering an enormous breadth of specific techniques you should be applying to your direct response marketing efforts. Unlike most mad geniuses, there is a remarkable clarity to David's writing."
Andrew Goodman, President of Page Zero Media and author of Winning Results with Google AdWords, 2nd Edition
"David Szetela does a wonderful job in covering all aspects of creating an effective and efficient pay-per-click program. His book is likely to become a classic in the field."
Al Ries, coauthor of War in the Boardroom??and??Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind
A Step-by-Step Guide
This detailed resource helps you develop, implement, measure, and manage successful pay-per-click ad campaigns by following a smart, proven, hour-a-day plan for success. The expert authors help you learn PPC basics and employ savvy strategies for everything from positive and negative keywords to click pricing, ad testing, conversion tracking, and more.
- Understand the basics of the PPC machinethe auction model, ranking algorithms, and what happens after viewers click
- Make sure you're competition-ready with great ad copy and optimized landing pages
- Master the tactics of bidding for position and for keywords, then launch your campaign and monitor results
- Explore the art and science of pay-per-click advertising and see why content and search advertising complement each other
- Set dates and budgets, research your competitors' keywords, define your own, and set up Google Analytics
- See how to leverage Google's content network to make your strategy a success
- Go mobile with targeted search and content for mobile devices
- Understand the differences in the Big Three search enginesGoogle, Yahoo!®, and Microsoft Bingand how they affect your campaign
- Gather, interpret, report, and act upon the data you collect from your campaign
- Download useful templates and tools from the book's official site
You'll also find:
- Advanced tips and techniques for the AdWords Editor
- Real-world "From the Trenches" case studies that illustrate successes to learn from and mistakes to avoid
- A step-by-step introduction to Facebook PPC ad creation, targeting, and reporting
This is the ultimate guide to do-it-yourself PPC campaigns. It clearly explains important PPC concepts, trends, and best practices before laying out a day-by-day plan for developing, managing, and measuring a successful SEO plan. The hour-a-day approach makes what can be an overwhelming task feel approachable--perfect for overworked marketers, PR pros, small-business owners, and professionals throughout an organization tasked with driving targeted traffic to a web site.
PPC: Hour a Day begins with a quick overview of core PPC concepts, industry trends, and the mechanics of how pay-per-click campaigns work. The expert authors then show readers how to perform keyword research, structure campaigns, understand ccampaign settings and the various conversion tracking and click pricing models. Readers are then walked through the crucial tasks of writing ads, developing and testing landing pages for them, grouping keywords into ad groups, and leveraging Google's content network.
The detailed guide then shows people how to successfully launch a winning campaign, icnluding how to effectively bid for position, monitor the launch once the switch is flipped, and then gather, interpret, report, and act upon data collected from the campaign. Ongoing monitoring, advanced techniques, and the differences in workign with the big three search engines (Google, Yahoo , Microsfot) are then explored. Appendices will help readers best use the AdWords Editor and show them the best third-party tools.
Written by PPC experts with unrivaled hands-on experience, this task-based guide features fascinating real-world case studies and will be endorsed with praise quotes and a foreword from well-known industry thought leaders. PPC: An Hour a Day is the ultimate step-by-step guide for developing, implementing, managing, and measuring a successful PPC campaign.
The complete guide to a winning pay-per-click marketing campaign
Pay-per-click advertising-the "sponsored results" on search engine results pages-is increasingly being used to drive traffic to websites. Marketing and advertising professionals looking for a hands-on, task-based guide to every stage of creating and managing a winning PPC campaign will get the step-by-step instruction they need in this detailed guide.
Using the popular An Hour A Day format, this book helps you avoid the pitfalls and plan, develop, implement, manage, and monitor a PPC campaign that gets results.
- Successful pay-per-click campaigns are a key component of online marketing
- This guide breaks the project down into manageable tasks, valuable for the small-business owner as well as for marketing officers and consultants
- Explains core PPC concepts, industry trends, and the mechanics that make a campaign work
- Shows how to perform keyword research, structure campaigns, and understand campaign settings and various pricing models
- Discusses how to write ads, develop and test landing pages, use ad groups, and leverage Google's content network
- Covers launching a campaign, bidding for position, monitoring, gathering results, and interpreting and acting on the data collected
Pay-Per-Click Search Engine Marketing: An Hour a Day provides the tools to make the most of this important marketing method.
About the Author
Online advertising expert David Szetela is owner and CEO of Clix Marketing, one of the few agencies that specializes exclusively in pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. His PPC articles have been published in MediaPost, Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Land, MarketingSherpa, and on his company's blog (www.clixmarketing.com/blog). He is the Principal PPC Editor of the paper and online publication SEMJ.org and the PPC expert faculty member for the online certification company Market Motive. He is also a frequent speaker at such industry events as Search Engine Strategies, SMX, PPC Summit, and ad:tech. He also hosts a weekly radio show called PPC Rockstars that is distributed by Webmasterradio.fm and iTunes. Joseph Kerschbaum has optimized thousands of PPC campaigns and is Director of Client Services at Clix Marketing. He has written hundreds of articles on paid search advertising for numerous industry blogs, and he is a regular contributor to Website Magazine and Search Engine Land.
Table of Contents
1 The Art and Science of PPC Advertising.
2 How the PPC Machine Works.
3 Core PPC Skills and Objectives.
4 Month 1 — Research Keywords and Establish Campaign Structure.
5 Month 2 — Create Great PPC Ads.
6 Month 3 — Design Effective Landing Pages.
7 Month 4 — Advertise on the Content Network.
8 Month 5 — Launch Your Campaign.
9 Month 6 — Optimize Your Campaign.
10 Month 7 — Test Ads Using Advanced Techniques.
11 Month 8 — Test and Optimize Landing Pages.
12 Month 9 — Migrate Your Campaign to Microsoft and Yahoo!