Synopses & Reviews
UNIQUE YOUR PC WITH SUPER TWEAKS!
If you yearn for the coolest, most crazed 'puter around, PC Mods for the Evil Genius is the key to the kingdom! This book shows you how to supercharge your PC-and create a jaw-dropping system that cannot be purchased off any shelf, anywhere!
You get complete, easy-to-follow plans, clear diagrams and schematics, and lists of parts and tools, so you know what's needed before you begin. PC Mods for the Evil Genius gives you:
- Illustrated instructions and plans for amazing projects presented in sufficient detail to be built even by newcomers
- Loads of projects simple enough for beginners-but intense enough to impress even your most savvy friends
- Tips to add high-end features easily and economically
- Frustration-factor removal-needed parts and tools are listed, along with sources-and how to get everything you need at the cheapest prices possible
TRANSFORM YOUR COMPUTER FROM AN ORDINARY CRUISER INTO A PC MUSCLE CAR!
PC Mods for the Evil Genius equips you with complete plans, instructions, parts lists, and sources for projects that let you:
- Jazz up your PC with a right-now case, custom lights, and other cool options
- Transform your PC into a TV
- Add TiVo capabilities and create your own PVR (personal video recorder)
- Archive your private videos
- Create mobile entertainment and navigation systems
- Let your friends and family track your travels with Google Earth
- Check and share your local weather conditions
- Make your 'puter help detect alien lifeforms in space
- Link you PC to a supercomputer chain unraveling the mysteries of DNA
- Phone almost anyone, anywhere in the world and talk to them live with your PC (and no phone charges)
- Put a live video feed of yourself (or anything else) onto the Web 24 hours a day
- Secure your PC biometrically
- Keep intruders out of your I/O ports
- And much, much more!
With illustrated, step-by-step instructions and detailed schematics, a renowned author of books on PC maintenance shows readers how to supercharge their computers with 25 custom-build projects. Each project includes a list of the materials and parts required.
About the Author
Jim Aspinwall (Campbell, CA) has been the Windows Helpdesk columnist and feature editor for CNET.COM and author of three books on PC maintenance. His articles have been the feature of two recent covers of PC Magazine – March and August, 2005. Jim is also an amateur radio operator, electronics technician and OSHA certified tower climber, maintaining radio transmission sites in northern California. He is the author of Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (McGraw-Hill, 2003), as well as PC Hacks (OReilly, 2005), IRQ, DMA, and I/O (MIS:Press, 1995) and several editions of Troubleshooting Your PC (MIS:Press, 1994).
Table of Contents
About the Author
Chapter 1: The Green PC
Chapter 2: PC Control Panel
Chapter 3: The Ultra-Mod PC
Chapter 4: Motherboard Upgrade
Chapter 5: Build Your Own Power Protection
Chapter 6: Secure Your WiFi
Chapter 7: Dynamic Picture Frame
Chapter 8: Mobile Entertainment
Chapter 9: Mobile Navigation
Chapter 10: Mobile Internet
Chapter 11: Share Your Trip With APRS
Chapter 12: Let Others Track Your Trip by Google
Chapter 13: PC Weather Station
Chapter 14: I Want My PC TV
Chapter 15: Sling Video All Around
Chapter 16: Voice-Over-IP With Skype
Chapter 17: Security Webcam
Chapter 18: Contributing to Science Explorations
Chapter 19: Keep In Sync
Chapter 20: Securing Your Computer