Synopses & Reviews
Published to coincide with the centennial of Mervyn Peake’s birth, this two-disc set presents a combination of short stories and poetry from Peake’s Progress, read by Peake’s sons, Sebastian Peake and Fabian Peake. Among the numerous works included on the CDs are the epic Rhyme of the Flying Bomb, “The Weird Journey,” “Same Time Same Place,” and “Danse Macabre,” as well as a generous selection of Peake’s poems and nonsense verses.
An elegantly produced collection of classic nursery rhymes, illustrated by the inimitable Mervyn Peake.
First published in 1940 and reissued now for the first time by the British Library, Ride a Cock Horse and Other Nursery Rhymes features classic childrenand#8217;s rhymes accompanied by richly imaginative drawings by the inimitable Mervyn Peake.
About the Author
Mervyn Peake (1911-1968) was one of the most important British novelists of the late 20th century. Although best known for his Gormenghast trilogy, he was also widely admired for his work as an artist and illustrator, including his work on Grimm's Household Tales, republished by the British Library in 2012.
Table of Contents
1. The Weird Journey
2. Sing I the Fickle, Fit-for-Nothing Fellows
3. The Cocky Walkers
4. Rhondda Valley
5. Palais de Danse
6. I Bought a Palm-Tree
7. The Shapes
8. London, 1941
9. The Consumptive, Belsen 1945
11. Danse Macabre
1. The Rhyme of the Flying Bomb
2. The Connoisseurs
3. Five Rhymes without Reason: The Giraffe
4. Five Rhymes without Reason: The Jailor and the Jaguar
5. Five Rhymes without Reason: How Mournful to Imagine
6. Five Rhymes without Reason: The Hippopotamus
7. Five Rhymes without Reason: I Waxes and I Wanes, Sir
8. Nonsense Poems: How Good it is to be Alone
9. Nonsense Poems: Aunts and Uncles
10. Nonsense Poems: The Bull-frog and the Flies
11. Nonsense Poems: O Here it is and There it is...
12. Nonsense Poems: The Trouble with Geraniums
13. Same Time, Same Place
14. To Maeve
15. In the Fabric of this Love
16. Absent from You where is there Corn and Wine?
17. For Maeve
18. Because Last Night my Child Clung to my Neck
19. Poem (My Arms are Rivers)
20. Poem (When I was Wounded)
Total Duration: 147 minutes