Synopses & Reviews
An invaluable work of reference, this Penguin dictionary gives an account of the lives and legends of the major saints, many of whom have played important roles in history, as well as those who are less well-known.
• Provides information on men and women ranging from the Biblical saints to the recently canonized
• Offers wide coverage of the saints of Great Britain and Ireland
• Aims to be as historically informative as possible with entries including details of the saints' work and life stories, dates of birth, death, canonization and feast days, as well as emblems and special patronage
• Stresses the saints' remarkable variety of human activity, social origin and personal history
• Contains an informative introduction, explanatory notes and a list of further reading
Revealing a host of fascinating individuals, this Penguin original is a mine of information. For anyone wanting to check a reference or seeking inspiration, this dictionary will prove to be an indispensable source.
A revised edition of "The Penguin Dictionary of Saints". It provides an account of the lives and legends of the major saints, many of whom have played important roles in history, as well as those who are less well known. This 3rd edition contains a number of new entries.
Historically informative biographies of saints both famous and less well-known.