Synopses & Reviews
"While this decent collection is not, as billed, the first such by a single author since Conan Doyle's The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (1927), Estleman (Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes) does a serviceable job in crafting eight new adventures for the Baker Street sleuth. Intriguing puzzles include 'The Adventure of the Three Ghosts,' in which Holmes aids a man experiencing nightly visitations straight out of A Christmas Carol, and 'The Devil and Sherlock Holmes,' in which an insane asylum inmate has convinced the medical staff that he is Satan himself. A lighter touch is winningly portrayed in the short play, 'Dr. and Mrs. Watson at Home.' 'The Serpent's Egg,' the only entry previously unpublished, was intended as the first chapter of an abortive round-robin pastiche that was to have included Isaac Asimov and Ruth Rendell. Two essays on Holmes and Watson, revised for this edition, round out the volume. Agent: Dominick Abel, Dominick Abel Literary." Publishers Weekly Copyright PWxyz, LLC. All rights reserved.
Authorized and licensed by Estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Award winning author Loren D. Estleman's Sherlock Holmes stories and essays collected in one volume, including "The Serpent's Egg," the opening chapter of a planned pastiche to be a "round-robin" novel by multiple authors including Issac Asimov, Ruth Rendell, and others.
This entertaining book also includes three previously published essays, "Channeling Holmes," "On the Significance of Boswells," and "Was Sherlock Holmes The Shadow?" that delve deeper into the daring world of Sherlock Holmes and the imaginative mind of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- "The Serpent's Egg" published here for the first time
- "Channeling Holmes" from The Ghosts in Baker Street.
- "The Adventure of the Arabian Knight" from Murder in Baker Street.
- "The Adventure of the Three Ghosts" from Holmes for Holidays.
- "The Riddle of the Golden Monkeys" from Murder, My Dear Watson.
- "Dr. and Mrs. Watson at Home: A Comedy in One Unnatural Act" from The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
- "The Adventure of the Coughing Dentist" from Sherlock Holmes in America.
- "The Adventure of the Greatest Gift" from More Holmes for the Holidays.
- "The Devil and Sherlock Holmes" from The Ghosts in Baker Street.
- "On the Significance of Boswell's" from Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories.
- "Was Sherlock Holmes the Shadow" from The Baker Street Journal.