Synopses & Reviews
An invaluable resource for any teacher in search of new ideas!
The new edition of this bestseller is packed with new activities and strategies for teaching reading. It weaves together the complex and varied strategic approaches needed to help students develop reading and spelling skills. Written by well-known author Patricia Cunningham, Phonics They Use
offers a coherent collection of practical, hands-on activities that provide a framework for teaching phonics.
The Fourth Edition continues to emphasize that what matters most is when students use phonics for decoding a new word, for reading and spelling a new word, and for writing. Rather than subscribe to a single theory, the book stresses a balanced reading program incorporating a variety of strategic approachestied to the individual needs of children.
- Full chapter on developing phonological and phonemic awareness, including activities designed to develop the concept of rhyme and teach blending and segmenting as well as activities using children's names.
- Includes classroom-tested ways to develop fluency as well as a Fluency Development Lesson that can be easily included in any teaching setting.
- Includes assessment devices which focus not just on what children know about phonics but on what they actually use while reading and writing.
It is one of the few phonics texts that achieves the goal of helping teachers to gain the basic phonics knowledge they need to teach to children. Jeanne Cobb, Eastern New Mexico University
For many, phonics will finally make sense after reading this book. Mary Jane Eisenhauer, Purdue North Central
Table of Contents
I. BUILDING THE FOUNDATION FOR PHONICS THEY CAN USE. 1. Early Reading and Writing Activities.
2. Print Concepts.
3. Phonological and Phonemic Awareness.
4. Concrete Words, Letter Names, and Sounds.
II. FLUENCY. 5. Fluency Activities.
6. High-Frequency Words.
III. USING PHONICS AND SPELLING PATTERNS. 7. Making Words.
8. Rhyme-Based Decoding and Spelling Activities.
9. Spelling Activities.
IV. BIG WORDS. 10. Decoding and Spelling Big Words.
11. Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes.
V. COACHING, ASSESSMENT AND RESEARCH. 12. Coaching for Strategic Decoding and Spelling.
14. The Theory and the Research—The Why Underlying the How.
15. Phonics Jargon—For Teachers Only!